CHAPTER 17 - SUNNY

Ch. 17: Sunny's Shake-Up

September 2 | Day

Jack dropped a hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "Are you worried about her, or are you worried about me? Because it seems like you can't decide which one of us you want." His seductive tenor murmur vibrated through my core, and I held a shudder in check.

"I keep telling you, it's not like that," I replied.

"Just say the word, and I'll back off. She's yours. On the other hand–" He tilted his head. "–Say the word, and I'll let her know you're mine."

"Jack."

"Yes? Do you want to be mine...? Hers...? Ours?"

"Jack, listen."

"I'm listening." He cupped the nape of my neck and tugged me in for a kiss that sent a thrilling shockwave from my crown to my toes. "I'm listening," he reiterated.

I stood there, speechless. I couldn't believe he had done that in front of Mal. I stole a glance, and she wasn't watching, but my heart pounded in my throat nonetheless. His molasses brown eyes stuck to my face. I prayed my expression gave nothing away, despite little faith in my ability to conceal my muddled emotions.

Did I want to be his? That wasn't even an option. I wanted him to be disentangled from the djinn's dark machinations, but I couldn't cut the cord if he didn't know it existed. His very soul was on the line, yet my day-to-day progress at saving him was hampered by this bizarre chemistry between the three of us, and I couldn't think straight.

I needed space.

The stunning condo had a marble dining table, sized for entertaining, positioned in front of the pivot door to the patio. The glass wall made the city skyline seem within arm's reach. As I moved toward the view, peering at the roving sun, I deliberately avoided looking at the woman draped over his chaise lounge.

Enjoying her freedom. I swallowed my anxiety. What did it mean that Mal's greatest aspiration was to be her own boss, and how did Jack factor into that?

I turned away from her at the chime of the doorbell. The caterers had arrived. Jack let me off the hook as he went to let them in. There was a self-consciousness in his gait. I truly empathized. If Mal's aggressive charm offensive was keeping me off-kilter, the working class ex-con had to feel waylaid by the lifestyle upgrades.

For all my complaining, every detail of the opulent condo had been selected with an eye toward beauty and functionality. The environment suited Jack, but I couldn't be happy for him. I was livid with Mal, flummoxed by her neverending bag of tricks. Obviously, Jack found being spoiled by her irresistible. Worse, Mal had managed to coral me into her every grand delivery.

She entered the living room with a relaxed grin. "Wow, that was refreshing. I forget how lovely the sun feels this time of year."

"Living in the shadows will do that to you," I muttered drolly.

"You boys ready to eat?" She ignored me.

"Famished," said Jack. "As ever, you know what I need before I even realize it. My appetite has been off the charts lately. Thanks for this."

The caterers, a team of uniformed professionals, came in bearing gleaming platters of golden crepes, seared meats, and exotic fruit. They transformed the dining area into an oasis of color, which was what the monochrome condo needed.

We took our seats, Mal and Jack at the ends of the table, facing off, and me in the middle. It wasn't my imagination that her influence was growing, and none of Wallace's advice had thus far worked. Once brunch was arranged, the djinn dismissed the staff. Then she took up a serving spoon and catered to Jack personally. I glowered through a helping of Eggs Benedict. He dug into a protein laden plate.