CHAPTER 36 - MAL

Ch. 36: Mal's Midnight Run

September 12 | Midnight

The grandfather clock in the foyer struck a quarter past midnight. I heard it from upstairs in my bedroom. "Something's wrong. I can feel it," I said as I stroked my neck to ease the lump in my throat. My voice felt like gravel. Ava, sitting on the chair beside my bed, took my other hand and removed the tortured fingernail from my mouth. Her stare was bleak.

"Cherie and I are all packed up."

I bobbed my head. "If Jack and Sunny haven't returned by tomorrow morning, I'll get the two of you out of here while Darcy is preoccupied with the Council of Overlay Affairs." My phone vibrated, and my eyes narrowed on the screen before widening with relief.

Where are you, Mal? I'm at Sunny's. Get here. I need you.

It was a text from Jack. I stared at the message, not sure what to make of its tone. Regardless, I clung to the hope that my companions had found the Map of Destiny. Even if they hadn't, they were alive. The mounting trepidation that had hounded me throughout their day of absence abated somewhat. But before I could respond, the shadows that gathered regularly in the corners of my scarlet and obsidian bedroom fled as if they, too, heard what I then heard. Darcy had re-entered the house.

"We're home. Be amicable," he told someone.

Ava and I girded our proverbial loins. I kissed her cheek and whispered, "Stay out of sight unless I call you. I'll see that Darcy stays distracted by Aurie. Be with you in a bit." My sister squeezed my fingers, rounded eyes glossy with concern. She didn't have to say her usual. It bled from her expression. Be careful. I couldn't. I had to be daring, reckless. The survival of the people I loved hung in the balance.

I strode past Cherie eavesdropping on the second landing and sent her to Ava. Gliding down the baroque staircase, I strained to put a face to the unfamiliar voice that answered Darcy. It wasn't Aurie as I had presumed. When I stepped into the antebellum great hall, more than the missing Hollywood director's daughter was waiting. There was another woman with ginger tresses accenting a dove white face sprinkled with freckles. She was classically attractive with a body most femmes would kill to have.

The front door remained open, and storm winds fluttered the black and gold brocade skirt I wore as I hurried to greet the new arrivals. The same gales tugged at locks of my hair, flinging them across my face. I tucked the strands behind my ear to glower at Darcy. I recognition his unannounced guest.

"You know you should not have brought them here," I admonished. Zyr Ravani's partner, Detective Tegan Stoney, had no business cowering beside the vampire.

Darcy dripped his falsest grin. "I don't expect the three of you to be privy to this, Mal. You and your sisters should have the night to yourselves."

With lips parted for as much of a tirade as I thought I might get away with, his words made me shut my mouth. I arched a winged eyebrow. If Darcy was willing to give my sisters and me our freedom for the night, that meant trouble for his guests but a boon for the Ashivants. The music room had been readied. My lovers wouldn't be back in time to save Yalina, Aurie, or this poor soul, Tegan, who had gotten herself ensnared in a sticky political web. I almost cast a sympathetic glance at the captives. Almost. To do so would've shown my hand.

The vampire's impromptu offer of a hall pass was my shot at getting to Jack and Sunny. Apparently, Darcy didn't think I would go far with a hurricane on our doorstep. Served him right for always believing he was the smartest person in the room.

"Ava! Cherie!" I called over my shoulder. My sisters came at once. Without a word, I led them into the dreary night. The heavy doors slammed shut behind us, and I said in a rush, "Quickly, girls. I have to get to the carriage house and take one of the Rolls before Darcy asks too many questions about where I'm going. Cover for me."