𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

"Beau Arlen," Sunny puts her hand out to shake Beau's as he, Cassie, and Jolene all walk up.

"Hey." Beau shakes her hand.

"Sunny Barnes," She introduces herself. "So nice to finally meet the new sheriff in town." Her words make Beau chuckle. "This is my husband, Buck." Sunny motions to the big man beside her.

"Hey," Beau repeats as he shakes Buck's hand.

"We're getting ready to eat," Buck informs the three. "You guys hungry?" He indirectly asks if they want to have a meal with them and the other campers.

"Oh, that is mighty kind of you. I could certainly eat." Beau's words make Cassie and Jolene look at him with a "Really? Wow." facial expression.

"Thanks, but we won't be staying long," Cassie speaks up and she makes eye contact with a camp worker walking by. Jolene nudges her shoulder to put her back on track. "We actually got a tip on that backpacker I was telling you about." She explains to Sunny and Buck. "He was spotted at Deadman's Drop six days ago."

"Sorry. We still haven't seen him." Sunny seems tense and protective in her tone.

"Deadman's Drop. Huh." Buck repeats the location. "Sounds like a man who wants to be left alone." He turns to face his wife then back to Beau, Cassie, and Jolene.

"Well, you'd think, but turns out he wasn't." Jolene corrects Buck's thoughts. "Yeah, we found two sets of bootprints up there."

Buck turns to his wife and her body language shows worry, barely a hint of guilt in her eyes.

"And we found this." Cassie holds up the missing person's water bottle they found.

"Oh, shoot." Sunny examines the bottle. "Probably a dozen people up and down that trail the past six days." She searches their eyes to see if they believe her.

"Yeah." Jolene doesn't believe the ginger is as innocent as she's trying to make herself seem. "I mean, there are signs everywhere. It's closed." She glances between the couple.

"Uh, truth is, a closed-off trail won't stop anybody, really," Buck explains to Jolene. "I mean, like I said, just some people want to disappear."

"Mm. Yeah, that is true." Jolene nods her head as her body moves on its own to step closer. "Then there are people who make them disappear, so..." Her sentence trails off.

"We appreciate you keeping an eye out." Beau thanks Sunny and Buck as Cassie gently pulls back Jolene.

"Dad." A girl's voice is heard, making everyone turn their heads.

"Hey, honey." Beau breaks into a smile and shrugs like this was just as big of a surprise to him as her. Emily swiftly offers to show her dad the big tent she's sleeping in for her stay. Beau takes the chance quicker than she offered.

"I can't imagine how he's feeling," Cassie comments as Sunny and Buck walk away. "I mean, the first time he's seen her in a while and the only reason is because of this missing backpacker." She turns to face Jolene who's watching the father-daughter moment. "How would you feel--"

"Don't you dare finish that question," Jolene cuts Cassie off. "Because how I would feel would lead to what I'd do, and what I'd do would be illegal and I can't say or do anything of that sort." She explains in one breath. "Especially being as we're not just friends with the new sheriff, but also work for him."

"Point taken." Cassie purses her lips and nods her head.

"I expect that's the stepdad." Jolene points to the man that's joined Beau and Emily.