𝐓𝐞𝐧

"Peanut!" Jolene yells upstairs for her daughter.

   "Yeah?" Yasmina rushes to the top of the stairs to look at her mother.

   "I'm leaving," Jolene informs her daughter. "There was a break in and Denise is shaken up."

   "Can I come with?" Yasmina offers. "You know I'm good at comforting people."

   "I know you are, but it's a crime scene and you won't be allowed on the premise." Jolene thins her lips.

   "Give her a hug for me then," Yasmina tells her. "Tell Sheriff Gorgeous I said." She winks and runs back to her room before Jolene can tell her to stop with the nickname.

   "You're lucky you're my favorite person!" Jolene yells loud enough for Yasmina to hear. "I love you!"

   "I love you, too," Yasmina peeks her head over the railing of the stairs when Jolene gets to the door. "If Cassie's there give her a hug for me, too."

   "What about Jenny?" Jolene quirks an eyebrow.

   "Has KB texted or called you?" Yasmina changes the subject to a different person. "I miss her... and her homemade cookies." She pouts.

   "You know she's busy," Jolene walks to the staircase and cups her daughter's face, "but I think she'll make time for her favorite Cessna. Now, I love you, and I have to go."

   "I love you, too." Yasmina smiles and Jolene places a kiss on her forehead before leaving.

𒊹︎

   Jolene flashes her badge to the cops outside Dewell & Hoyt Private Investigations and they allow her into the building.

"Hey," Jolene walks to Denise before anyone. "You okay?" She places a hand on her shoulder.

"How do you think she's feeling?" Jenny answers Jolene before Denise has time.

Jolene ignores Jenny's commentary and hugs Denise.

"That hug was from Yasmina," Jolene pulls back to then hug Denise again. "That one is from me." She steps back and places her hands on her shoulders. "For scaring you so badly," she leans in to whisper in Denise's ear, "I'll knock him upside the head so hard he'll be seeing stars."

Jolene's threat makes Denise giggle and Cassie smirk as she's sat next to Denise and Jolene whispers in the ear right next to Cassie. When she turns around she sees Jenny with an unamused expression, upset she's left out.

"Jo," Beau grabs Jolene's attention and she walks towards him.

"Bow tie," Jolene calls Beau the nickname she gave him, "any luck on the security cam?"

"No, the guy was wearing a ski mask." Beau points to the officer who walked away with the tablet with the security video of the intruder. "He did, uh, gash his arm, though, when he busted the glass."

"Well, that explains the blood." Jolene looks at the floor.

"And he took his glove off, so if we're lucky, we get a print." Beau includes and Jolene examines the room by turning her head.

"It looks like he went through the files of the Bleeding Heart murder," Jolene points out.

"Huh." The gears in Beau's mind start turning.

"Yeah." Jolene thins her lips as she keeps her eyes on Denise. "We should, um —" She nods at Cassie, Denise, and Jenny.

"Yeah." Beau agrees.