Chapter 8

Novah's POV

I had gotten a text from my social worker about an hour ago. I'm supposed to meet her at her office, she didn't tell me why though. She just said it was something kinda important. New Year's Eve is tomorrow and she's usually busy around this time so it must be.

I had just entered her office when I noticed another woman standing there. She was probably in her 40's to 50's. I noticed a badge on her jacket that indicated she was a detective. Uh oh, what did I do? I shook my head as I heard someone talking. "Novah, glad you could make it on short notice. Have a seat." Katherine my social worker says. As I sit down, I see in the corner of my eye I see the detective looking at me, like she's analyzing me or something. Which is starting to make me uncomfortable.

"Novah, this is Detective Lacey. She has something she would like to go over with you. And don't worry, you're not in any way, shape or form in any trouble." Katherine tells me. She knows a lot about me considering she's the only person that's been consistent in my life. So she knows just by looking at me that I was panicking, even if others didn't. I nod as I look over at the Detective as she starts speaking.

"Hi Novah, I know this is unexpected, But I want to ask you, what do you know about your parents?" As soon as she asks that question, my face hardens. If that's what she came to talk to me about then I don't want to be here. I don't want to talk about them, or ever see them again. Not after what they did. I took a deep breathe to calm myself. "I don't remember much, all except that they hurt and abandoned me." I say with gritted teeth. I'd say she could tell I was angry. She looks down then back up. "Well Novah, I'm just gonna go ahead and rip the Bandaid off. But we have reason to believe that they are not your biological parents." Not my biological parents. Wait..what?! No, no, that can't be right. Did I just mishear her. "Well, we aren't for certain yet actually, but that's why we need to do a DNA test first before we can continue. But we are 99% sure that you are this person's lost daughter." My thoughts are going 100 miles per hour. Like, what?! I can't believe this is happening right now.

Detective Lacey continues to tell me everything, about me being kidnapped from my mother straight out of the hospital. How they had spent years searching with nothing. And right when they were about to give up they found the woman who took me which led to where we are now. But out of everything she just told me, she hasn't told me my mothers name. "Wait, wait, wait.... Who's my mother then?" Lacey takes a breathe as she looks over at Katherine, who I honestly forgot was in the room then back at me. "Well, I can't exactly give you her name just yet. Not until we get the results back from the DNA test. She is a very.... Well known woman. And she has a lot of privacy when it involves family. This is especially private." Great, I can't even know my supposed mother's name. Just great!

We had went ahead and swapped my mouth and took a strand of my hair for the DNA test. She said it could be a few days before they get results back, which means I'm gonna be thinking on this for who knows how long. It's only barely past noon and I'm exhausted. After she left, I just sunk in my seat trying to process everything. "Are you alright dear?" I look up at Katherine looking at me sympathetically. I just stare at her and shrug. I mean, who does this even happen to. This is crazy. The people who I thought were my parents for years, possibly turn out not to be. You mean, I could of had a mother to raise me and love me after all. But I was taken from her. So that didn't happen. The universe just seems to want me to suffer.

As I sit up and stretch a little I hear a small gasp from Katherine. I look at her and notice she is looking at my stomach. Oh crap! I hadn't realized my shirt had risen up while I stretched, which meant she saw my huge baseball sized bruises. "Novah, what happened?!" She asks as she rushes over to me to check me over. I sigh as I tell her the whole issue with Brain. I would lie about it, but I know she would see right through it. Besides, this isn't our first rodeo with these situations. Unfortunately. So I knew it was better just to tell the truth. So now, I'll be moving into a different place. A group home most likely considering it's short notice and because of the whole, 'kidnapping case' I've seen to been brought into.

A few days have passed and I still haven't heard anything about the DNA results. I've been anxious ever since, hardly able to sleep, or stay still. Tomorrow's my birthday, I'll be 16. I wonder if my birth mother remembers... what am I saying, I'm sure she does. I look up as I hear a knock on my door. It was Detective Lacey. Well that was unexpected. "Hi Novah, how are you?" She asks. "I'm okay, just been anxiously waiting." I laugh nervously. She laughs a little. "Right. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Also sorry for showing up unexpected. But once I got the results I thought it be best to tell you in person." I nod. That seems logical. She hands me an envelope and tells me to open it. It seems like she already knows the answer to all of this. I just sit there and stare at it for a minute, to nervous to move.

I take a breath and finally open it. I don't even bother to read it, I just go down to where it will tell me whether or not it's positive or not. And low and behold, it's positive. Wow. So, my whole life has pretty much just been a whole lie. Now what do I do? I mean, what can you do when you find out the people who you thought were your parents aren't your parents after all. Do I go live with my birth mother now? Is that what's going to happen? If that's the case, then how am I going to deal with living with a complete stranger I know nothing about... well, I actually do that on a daily basis anyway. But this somehow seems... different. I don't know anymore.

"You get to meet her tomorrow. And you go home with her tomorrow. She's coming here to get you." Lacey says startling me out of my thoughts. Wait... tomorrow? That's so soon. Really soon. Okay, just stay calm. Everything will be okay Novs. Just take some deep breaths. "What's her name?" I look up ask Lacey after calming down. She smiles a little, "Scarlett Johansson."

My eyes immediately widen. Did I just hear her correctly. Scarlett Johansson? No, no I must of misheard. I laugh a little. "I'm sorry, can-can you repeat that?" I ask her and I make sure to listen real close. "Scarlett Johansson" she smirks a little. Now I'm really in shock. There ain't no way. So my role model is my birth mother. My comfort actress since I was a little girl. The woman I met just a few months ago at the park! Oh my gosh, my birth mother was right in front of me and I didn't even know. Did she know? I did see her kinda react weirdly when I told her my name. No, no I'm getting in over my head. "You'll be meeting and going home with her tomorrow." Lacey repeated. I look up at her with my mouth agape. "Yeah, we already met." I say slowly.

She raises an eyebrow "you've already met her?" I nod "yeah, a few months ago I went to New York because my foster dad at the time, his father passed away. So they had to help with funeral arrangements. So while they went to the funeral I went to the park, and I met her there. She had her kids with her." She just nods and hums. "Well, small world." She states. Oh yeah, small world indeed.