Chapter 7: Bhutan

In Nurmengard, an army of dark-clad figures assemble around the castle. Grindelwald and Credence make their way toward the castle, the figures part. Reaching the entrance, Grindelwald turns, surveying them. "Our time is close, my brothers and sisters. Days of hiding are over. The world will hear our voice. And it will be deafening." Grindelwald said and a roar goes up amongst the throng. Grindelwald smiles faintly, then his eyes fix on Kama, standing to one side in front of the cheering Acolytes.

Grindelwald steps over to him and, to Kama's surprise, takes his face in both hands. "You didn't come here to betray Dumbledore...You know in your pure-blood heart...your place is here. To believe in me is to believe in yourself." Grindelwald tells him as he stared deeply into Kama's eyes one more moment and walks him down into the crowd, gently pushing him into the assembled troops. "Prove your loyalty, Mr. Kama." he said before he releases him, before turning for the castle.

As the limp Qilin's head flops to one side, the laceration across its throat could be seen. Grindelwald picks up the creature then plunges it the body into the water, blood blooms from its ragged throat. Grindelwald stands waist-deep in the pool, shirtsleeves rolled up past his elbows.

He holds the Qilin underwater as he murmurs indistinctly, he waits for the water to grow still then whispers. "...Vulnera Sanentur. Rennervate Vulnera Sanentur." Credence, Vogel, Rosier and Isabella watch from the shadows. 

With great tenderness, Grindelwald plays his fingers over the Qilin's throat, mending the flesh there. Bubbles rise from the pool and the Qilin's head breaks the surface and it screeches. Grindelwald lifts it from the water and the Qilin turns its head to him, its eyes still eerily vacant, but otherwise appearing healthy and whole.

Grindelwald smiles and strokes it. "There. There, there. There...." he whispers. "Come, look." he tells the others without looking at them. "This is why we are special. To conceal our powers is not merely an affront to ourselves... it's sinful." He explains and he places the Qilin at the side of the pool, where it stays standing. 

Credence studies the newly reborn Qilin, bewitched. Gratified by Credence's reaction, Grindelwald looks back to the Qilin then stops, his smile faltering. A pale shadow, identical to the Qilin in his hands, appears briefly within the currents of the water, his eyes harden.

"Was there another?" Grindelwald asked. "Another?" Credence asked. "That night, was there another Qilin?" Grindelwald asked. In the shadows, Vogel turns and looks back to the pool. Grindelwald's eyes are pinched with fury. Credence, his face pale and slick, looks suddenly uneasy. "I don't think so..." Credence mutters.

With frightening speed, Grindelwald throws Credence back from the pool with a powerful burst of water and pins him to the wall. Grindelwald Apparates from the water, his fingers laced about Credence's throat and face. His eyes glitter with anger. "That's twice you failed me. Do you not understand the danger you put me in?!" Grindelwald asked him, angrily. Credence remains frozen like a terrified child under Grindelwald's grip.

"One last chance. Understood? Find it." Grindelwald said and he lets got of Credence and walks away.

"Here she is, love." (Y/n) said to Newt as she hands him the Qilin, as he was inside his suitcase. "Thank you, love." Newt said as he takes the Qilin and gently lowers the Qilin into his case. Minutes later, Newt comes back up and climbs out of the case then shuts the case. (Y/n) goes up behind him and wraps her arms around him and he places his hands on her arms.

"I hope this works." (Y/n) whispers to him. "It will. Dumbledore's plan usually works." Newt whispers back and (y/n) takes in a deep breath then slowly let's it out. "I know, I guess...I'm just worried about everyone...and you..." (y/n) said and Newt starts to turn around while she removes her arms off of him and stands up straight.