Chapter 8: Our War With The Muggles Begins Today

Newt and (y/n) started to wake up and see they are surrounded by the crowd. Then Newt sees Fischer making her way up the stairs ahead. Towering above supporters and voters are massive freestanding banners, which act as screens to reflect the ceremony above. As Newt and (y/n) stare at the banner, in reflection, Vogel appears 

"I thank the candidates for their words." Vogel said as Liu, Santos and Grindelwald stand behind him, side by side. "Each represents a distinct vision of how we will not shape only our world...but the non-magical world as well. Which brings us to the most important part of our ceremony...the walk of the Qilin." Vogel said and the Qilin is brought forth.

Newt and (y/n) reach the great steps that stretch up to the Eyrie, seeing a tiny figure up ahead with Newt's case, Fischer. As they pound up the steps, he looks across to the banners and sees the Qilin being put before Grindelwald, Liu, and Santos.

The Qilin moves tentatively forward, towards the candidates. As the Qilin moves to Grindelwald, Liu and Santos exchange a glance.

Newt and (y/n) charge towards Fischer, who simply turns to look at them, making no effort to move.

The Qilin stands in front of Grindelwald and gazes up at him.

Fischer holds out the case. Newt studied her, perplexed by her demeanor, then reaches out. As his fingers make contact, the case turns to dust. In a panic, he watches the particular drift into the air while (y/n) gasped and places a hand over her mouth. They look back to Fischer, who continues to smile.

As the dust drifts up, the banners reveal Grindelwald and the Qilin. The Qilin then bows to Grindelwald and, for a moment, there was a long silence. "The Qilin has seen. Seen goodness, strength, qualities essential to lead and to guide us. Who do you see?" Vogel asked and the assembled witches and wizards thrust their wands into the air, spells explode. The three colors of Liu, Santos and Grindelwald stream into the sky and then turn to one, Grindelwald's green.
"No..." (y/n) whispers, devastated, as Newt stands there, stunned.

"Gellert Grindelwald is the new leader of the magical world by acclamation." Vogel said as Grindelwald savors the adulation. The crowd roars, Acolytes on either side of Newt and (y/n) shove them up the steps. Grindelwald nods to Rosier and she brings forth Queenie and Jacob.

Newt and (y/n) try to push their way toward them but the four Acolytes restrain them. Rosier brings Jacob farther up the steps and hands his snakewood wand to Grindelwald. He surveys the crowd, who waits, eyes fixed in him, then gestures to Jacob.

"This is the man who tried to take my life. This man, who has no magic, who would marry a witch and pollute our blood. Create a forbidden union that would make us less, make us weak, like his kind. He's not alone, my friends. There are thousands who seek to do the same. There can only be one response to such vermin." Grindelwald said and he tosses away Jacob's wand and raises his own.

As Jacob turns to face him, Grindelwald hits him with a spell that throws him down the steps and sends him sprawling onto his back at Queenie's feet. "Crucio." Grindelwald recites and a lightning spell sends Jacob writhing in pain at Queenie's feet.

"No!" Newt and (y/n) shout and try to go towards him but the Acolytes hold them back while Queenie falls to her knees, crying. "Make him stop!" She cries. "Our war with the Muggles begins today!" Grindelwald bellows and his supporters cheer wildly.

Lally, Theseus, Jason and Kama moves through the crowd, looking shocked. Jacob remains writhing in pain on the ground until Santos raises her wand and lifts the Cruciatus Curse afflicting him. Relieved, Jacob lies back in Queenie's arms. 

Grindelwald turns bus face to the sky, basking in his glory. He stays like this, reveling in the moment when he spies the Phoenix circling overhead. A solitary feather of ash seesaw from the sky and attaches itself to his cheek. He wipes it away, looking troubled.