Chapter Six

Miguel ended up spending the night, taking care of me. He left the next morning before I even woke up. I woke up and got ready. I ran downstairs and saw my mom and dad in the kitchen. "Hey honey, how was Halloween?" My mom said, handing me a cup of coffee. "It was good, thanks." I said, taking a sip of the coffee. My mom raised an eyebrow, but eventually shrugged it off. She knows how much I love Halloween, and she knows there was no way that Halloween would be just 'good' in my eyes. A minute passed in silence. "Hey mom, dad?" I asked. "Yeah what's up?" They responded. I hesitated. "Could I, maybe, drive to LA today? I want to visit Cory." I finally said. They exchanged sympathetic looks. "Honey..." My mom started. "Listen, I know you want to talk to him, but we don't have anyone to drive you..." "Could I try driving myself today?" I asked. "Y/n.. I don't think that's a good idea..." My mom started. "Katherine, let her go. I think she's old enough, besides, she's going to visit him by herself someday." My dad said. My mom sighed. "Alright..." I smiled. "Yes! Thanks dad!" I said hugging them and grabbing the keys. 

I walked outside and got in the car. Miguel was playing basketball in his driveway. "Y/n! Hey!" He said waving. "Hi Miguel!" I said, waving back. He came up to the car. "Where you going?" He asked. "Oh, just to visit Cory." I said. His smile faded. "Oh. Okay, um... drive safe." He said giving me a sympathetic smile.

A few hours later I parked the car in the parking lot and walked over to Cory's grave. I sat down. It felt normal to talk to him. Like he was still here. "So... Cory. So much has happened since I moved. I met this boy... his name is Miguel. He's my boyfriend. It may be crazy, but I think that I'm in love with him. I told him about you. People try to talk to me about you. To try and make me feel better or some bullshit. It doesn't help. They don't care about you. They care about the fact that you're gone. And I can't stand it, because I am one of the few people that truly misses you. Cory, I miss you so much. I don't know if you can even hear me right now, but I'm praying that you can. God, I still feel so guilty. I can't believe you're really gone. " The tears were already streaming down my face. I started fidgeting with my bracelet. Cory had the matching one. He was buried with it. I looked over at his grave again. "You know, the one thing that pissed me off the most when you died, was that there was this cheesy-ass memorial that someone put up at your locker at school and it made me want to throw up because I knew how much you would hate that." I laughed a little, but it slowly turned into sobs again. I dried my tears with the back of my palm. "I'm sorry, Cory."

I got up after ten minutes and brushed my hands off on my jeans. I walked away from Cory's grave, stopping to look back at him one more time. I turned back around and headed for the parking lot. With tears still streaming down my face, I got in the car and backed out of the parking lot.  As I was driving home, I could only think of Cory. How I could have saved him. How his death is my fault. But no. I didn't save Cory. Cory is dead. And there is nothing I can do about it. God, I miss him. I would give anything, absolutely anything, just to talk to him again. But I can't do that. Because Cory is gone, and he is gone because of me. The sadness turned into rage. I pressed on the gas harder, my speed increasing. My eyes were so welled up with tears, that I didn't even see the oncoming car smash into mine.