Part 1

AN: There comes a time in every author's career where they just have to do a Soulmate AU. The trope has been nagging at me for quite a while now. This is my take on it and my long-time readers will know that this... is anything but cliche. For my new readers, strap in. You're in for a bumpy ride.

Part 1A: Realization

Berk, 1996

"-nd you're to blame. Darlin', you give love a bad name..." Astrid sang while headbanging to Bon Jovi in her car, a sweet crimson red 1992 Eagle Talon. Her feathered bangs bounced to the music as she waited for the light to turn green. "An angel's smile is what you sell. You promise me Heaven, then put me through hell," she continued to sing while tapping the steering wheel with one hand while her other arm hung on the door.

She turned right at the intersection once the traffic lights changed and drove the last five minutes to her high school where she parked in one of the Senior spots. It was a busy day today as she stepped out of her car and looked around after grabbing her black leather jacket.

"Astrid!" Someone yelled causing Astrid to startle and nearly punch the person who glomped her.

"Heather, for Pete's sake don't do that!" Astrid rolled her eyes as her BFF since elementary tried to cling to her. Those metal studs on her jacket were not doing their job.

"Hey, you coming to Fishleg's LAN party this weekend?" Heather asked as she let go and walked backwards towards the High school's entrance. "He finally upgraded his system to the new Windows 95."

"I'll think about it," Astrid laughed. "Honestly, you surprise me, Heather. I didn't think you were into that stuff."

"Hey, Fish is my soulmate," Heather stuck her tongue out at Astrid. "He's been taking a lot of interest in my hobbies and I think I should be doing the same. We're going to be together forever, right? Besides you might find your soulmate at the party."

Astrid looked at her wrist where her soulmate mark was hidden by her watch strap. "Maybe," She shrugged. "I don't know. I'm not that into this whole soulmate thing. Alexi is though. She's been dragging me to parties and trying to find our soulmates," Here Astrid rolled her eyes.

"Well, you'll have lots of opportunities of meeting new people when we head off to college," Heather smirked. "Who knows, maybe Mister Right is a sexy college hunk,"

"HEATHER!" Astrid blushed but her friend just winked in her direction.

"But seriously can you believe we're graduating in a week?" Heather asked, now walking next to Astrid through the rows of lockers. "I hate to say this but I might actually miss this place,"

"Not me," Astrid laughed. "Gods I'll be glad to get out of here. My parents have been getting on my nerves a bit lately thanks to Alexi."

"What's your little sister got to do with that? Isn't she like a grade lower than you?" Heather asked while raising a brow.

"Yes, but she's like so perfect! Ugh," Astrid sighed. "At least according to my parents. You and I both know my grades weren't the best though I'm still graduating." Now she rolled her eyes. "Yet all I hear from them is, you should be more like Alexi," she mimed "You know she made Studentbody President. She's a future Valedictorian... Bla Bla Bla."

"That's insane girl," Heather uttered as they got to their lockers. "Can't they even be happy you got into college?"

"They wanted me to go to an Ivy League University and were disappointed I got accepted into the local community college." Astrid slammed her locker door. "Ugh... you'd think they'd be happy I'm not a couch potato,"