2

She continues driving down the road until she stops at her house's curb. The phone continues to ring. Andy. Again and again. 
She rests her head on the wheel. 
The phone is still ringing. She looks at it before refusing the call. She gets out of the car and listens to the last voicemail left. 
"Hazel, I'm on my way. Tell me you're okay. Please... Answer me..." 
She cries and quickly goes home, locks the door, and sits on the hallway floor. She hears a knock on the door. "Hazel, open the door.". He tries to open the door "Hazel, open the door please..." He sighs before he steps away from the door. She gets up and opens the door. No one is there anymore, she closes the door and heads to the living room. She’s watching the sky through the window, and she’s wrapping her arms around her legs. After not eating and taking her pills, she lays on her couch and she closes her eyes. 
**
Hello Laurie, can I talk to Andy for a second, please?” She says with a shaking voice.
Um, sorry Hazel. He’s outside, he forgot his phone. I can leave a message for him if you want…” 
Umm, can you tell him to come to see me at the hospital? I need to talk with him about something which is important…” 
Sure, I won’t forget to tell him. Goodbye Hazel.
Thank you Lau-” She hangs up before Hazel can say goodbye. She stays in her hospital bed, hoping that Andy will see her. She waits an hour, and another and another… but no Andy. She’s desperate, she tries to call him back. 
Hi, this is Andy Barber, please leave a message… BEEP” 
Hi Andy, I was hoping you’ll see me today. I’m at the hospital, don’t worry I’m okay. Please call me back, I wanted to talk to you about something.” She hangs up. 
Miss Williams?” The nurse enters her hospital bedroom. “It’s time for your chemotherapy, I’ll go with you. We begin in five minutes.
Okay…” The nurse closes the door and Hazel is turning her head through the window and just watch the rain falling on Boston.
**
She is awakened by the doorbell. She is startled and gets up from the sofa. She goes to the kitchen window and sees Andy in the rain, with his head on the door, hoping for an answer from her. She stands in front of the door, unlocks the door, and opens it. 
“Andy? What are you doing here?” 
“I was hoping to talk with you about what you said yesterday…” He’s freezing.
“Come, I don’t want you to get cold…” She lets him in and closes the door. “I go grab you a towel.” She goes upstairs and leaves Andy at the entrance. He goes into the living room, he looks around. No photos with her friends, no photos with her colleagues. Nothing, except a picture with her and Andy. He took the picture from the fireplace, and look closer. He remembers this time when he and Hazel were at the prom ball. She was wearing a blue velvet dress and he was wearing a black tuxedo. They were nominated King and Queen of Prom Ball, and that was the first time they kissed. He smiles and turns the photo. There was a note from her: my first Valentine and my beloved friend. Always be here for you, whatever it takes. xx
Whatever it takes. He left her alone for 2 years and he regrets that. He lefts out a tear, and puts the photo back on the fireplace.
“Here Andy…” He turns around and sees Hazel holding a towel.
“Thank you, Haze.” He’s trying drying his hair
She giggles. “What?” He giggles too. 
“Let me help you…” She approaches him and dries his hair softly. 
“Haze, I’m still sorry about leaving you alone during this long time. I should be here for you…” He said under the towel. 
“Andy, let’s not talk about this please…” She continues to dry his hair and his head. “There you go. You wanna drink something? Water? Coffee?”
“Coffee please.” 
She goes into the kitchen and prepares two coffees. 
“You have a boyfriend? Kids?” He sits on the couch and asks when she goes to the kitchen
“Very funny Andy…” She’s snorting at his questions.
“What? I’m asking. I wanna know what happened for 2 years.” 
“I’m still single, no kids, no dates. Still working for my lovely pupils even when I was at the hospital” She grabs two mugs. 
“What?” He turns around. “You were at the hospital??” 
“I see that Laurie didn’t pass the message…” She’s pouring the coffee into two mugs. 
“Uhh, Laurie.” He becomes insane and shakes his head. She’s coming with the two mugs of coffee. “Thank you.” She sits next to him, and they’re sipping their coffee. 
“So, you still a good teacher to your kids?” He points to the English book. 
She chuckles. “Yes, I’m still a good teacher for them, they love me and they gave me a lot of support with their drawings, their letters. They’re so adorable…” She starts to lay a little on the couch and winces.
“You okay?” He puts his hand on her shoulder. She nods. “It’s okay. I just need to rest a little because of the chemotherapy.” 
“Come here.” He puts her head on his shoulder and wraps his arm around her shoulder. “You don’t need to do that Andy…” She starts to close her eyes.
“Shhh…” He rubs her shoulder “I’ll be there for you. Whatever you want or not.” She giggles lightly before she falls asleep.
He looks at her and kisses the top of her head. “I’ll always be there for you my Hazel.” He whispers. 
***
She starts to wake up with a blanket on her and she looks around her. 
“Andy?” She gets up from the couch and starts to look for him. She came back and he wasn’t there. She rubs her forehead. 
I guess it was just a dream… I’m being crazy.
She chuckles and sits on her couch. She sees two mugs. 
I didn’t dream, he was there. But where is he?
She takes her phone and tries to call him.
Had a beautiful sleep?” She can feel his smile behind the phone.
“Where are you?” 
I’m at the supermarket. Grabbing some food.” 
“I could do that Andy.” 
You were asleep, I didn’t wanna wake you.” 
“That’s sweet of you. May I ask you a question?” 
Sure, what is it?
Oh Lord, okay. Take a deep breath and be calm.
“Can you stay with me tonight?” You pull back your phone and you tap your head. You’re a jerk Hazel.
He chuckles on the phone. “Yes, I stay with you. Haze? Are you here?” 
“Oh yes, yes sorry.” She clears her throat. “See you soon.” She hangs up, and hide her head in the pillow of the couch. Well done, Haze !
She gets up and go to the bathroom, takes a shower, changes her clothes and goes back to the living room. She takes the album and opens it. She didn’t lose any pictures with him from high school. 
“I’m back!” Andy is closing the door. 
“I’m here.” She closes the album and puts back in the shelf. He goes to the kitchen and puts the bags on the kitchen counter. “How do you feel?” 
“Well, it’s just another Thursday. But yeah, I feel better, thank you.” She takes the two mugs and goes to the kitchen to wash them. He comes towards her and look at her sweater. “You still have it?” He touches the sweater. “Yeah, always with me. I didn’t put it in the trash and I won’t do it.” 
“That’s very cute.” 
“It’s a gift, and I never refuse it. Especially when it’s from you…” She blushes and chuckles. 
He turns her to him and he puts his hands on her cheeks. “Haze…” 
“Andy.” 
“Are you okay?” He’s worrying about her. 
Come on Haze, tell him you love him.
“Yeah, I’m fine. Don’t worry.” 
“Okay” He strokes her cheeks and kisses her cheek. He goes to put the stuff in the fridge and closets.
“Andy…”
“Yeah?” He looks at her. 
Oh Haze, come on! Tell him! 
“Can you come with me tomorrow to the hospital? I have to do some analysis and exams for checking if the tumor is gone.” She scratches her hand. 
“Of course.” He gives her a smile. She comes towards and hugs him. 
“Thank you.” He rubs her back. “Anytime…” He puts his head on hers. 
***
They’re in the bed. Andy is stroking her hair and she has her eyes closed.
“Haze?” He whispers.
“Mhm?” 
“You wanted to say something before you’re asking me to come with you to the hospital, what was it?” 
Come on, Haze! Do it! Don’t be a coward, he’s not going to eat you! 
She sits up, and looks at him. “I…” she sighs “I’m sorry…” 
“For what?” 
“For this…” She kisses him. He didn’t step back, he puts his hands on her cheeks. She’s pulling back. “I love you…” Yeah, finally!! Damn, that wasn’t so hard!! 
“I love you too…” She puts her head on his chest, he kisses the top of her head. They intertwine their hands and fall asleep.