9 - Unusual

Chapter Nine

Rosemary Reid has been added to the chat.

Roy Mustang
Headed to the pub after work. Wanna come with?

Rosemary Reid
Sorry, I’m busy tonight.

Roy Mustang
Alright, then how about tomorrow?

Rosemary Reid
I have plans every night this week.

Roy Mustang
For someone so anti-social you’re pretty busy.

(Read Tuesday 4:57pm)

Rosemary Reid has left the chat.

Roy tossed his head back with a groan. Was she really mad at him for that? It’s not like it wasn’t true, she hardly talked to anyone at work besides Maes and now that obnoxious new guy…Ah fuck. Has he swooped in that quickly?! Now I really need a damn drink.

New chat created with Maes Hughes

Roy Mustang
Let’s get a drink after work.

Maes Hughes
No can do, good sir. I’ve got a date with the Mrs tonight.
*image attached*
Look at this picture Gracia sent me just now! Soooo cute 😍

Roy Mustang
What happened to you? You used to be fun.

Maes Hughes
You’ll understand when you’re older.

Roy Mustang
We’re the same age.

Maes Hughes
I’m a family man now, nothin beats spending time with my favourite girls.
Speaking of which.

(Read Tuesday 5:00pm)

Maes Hughes is offline.

“Damn bastard,” Roy grumbled.

New chat created with Riza Hawkeye

Riza Hawkeye
No.

Roy Mustang
I haven’t even said anything yet.

Riza Hawkeye
The answer’s still no.

Riza Hawkeye is offline.

.・゜゜・❁・゜゜・.

The week continued as such for Roy, with no one available to spend time with him outside of work. An idle mind was the worst sort of punishment for him as it left his mental state to crumple in on itself and his thoughts to run rampant. What bothered him most, however, was that he couldn't tell if Rosemary kept declining his offers because she was spending time with Jean or because she didn't want to see him at all…and he wasn't sure which was worse.

After a late night of drinking on Friday, Roy's typical weekend routine was thrown off schedule and he went for his morning jog a little later than usual. In an effort to add any additional distraction he could, Roy decided to stray from his usual southwest route and go northeast for a change of scenery. What he didn't expect, however, was for that change of scenery to include the woman he'd been trying not to think about.

On weekend mornings Rosemary would typically spend her time working on her gardens and in the afternoons she would do some reading or chores, leaving the evenings for TV or movies. It was a simple routine and perhaps boring to some, but it was enough for her. In fact, the structure was the only way she could keep herself sane. Every weekend was the same, and yet today, for a reason she couldn't fathom, her name was called out incredulously. "Rosemary?"