10 - Very Lame vs. Pretty Cheesy

Chapter Ten

Roy didn't think he would ever really look forward to a Monday morning. Well, he didn't usually look forward to much at all anyway, but especially not a damn Monday. After this weekend though...well, Monday didn't seem so bad. In fact, Monday was looking pretty great.

While he was still plagued by his usual nightmares, once Roy hopped into the shower to get ready for the day, he began to wonder if Rosemary would speak with him a little more today. If she'd give him one of her coy smirks or if he could find a way to make her laugh...if she'd humour him and go out for a drink. Roy was hopeful, and it was a nice change of pace for him.

Rosemary didn't want to admit it to herself, but she had put more effort into her appearance that morning. She went out of her work attire comfort zone and chose a forest green ruffle trim A-line dress that skimmed the top of her knees. The v-neckline dipped a little lower than she'd normally feel comfortable with as she tended to dress rather reserved at work, but well...she just wanted a little extra confidence boost today and wearing something she thought she looked great in was the best way she could think of to do that. After putting on her usual mascara, Rosemary opted to add lip-gloss into the mix for that little extra oomph and then slipped into a pair of kitten heels before heading out the door.

Typically when Rosemary went into the office early she would stop and get coffee for herself and the building's security guard, but today she caught a glimpse of the French bakery Roy had mentioned a while back and she just couldn't resist. Besides, she didn't want to owe him any favours so she might as well pick something up for him as well, right?

Roy, eager to find an excuse to talk with the blonde, had figured that since she enjoyed the croissant he picked up for her after their night drinking, he'd swing by and grab another. A Monday pick-me-up of sorts seemed like a surefire way to strike up a conversation. When Roy reached the bakery, he stood in the queue behind a woman in a green dress and the corners of his lips perked up the tiniest bit as he thought, this colour would definitely suit Rosemary...I wonder if she has anything like it.

Of course, his question was answered once the woman had reached the counter and he heard her order. His smile widened and he stepped forward to stand beside her at the counter, tugging out his wallet. "Fancy meeting you here," he smirked. "I hope that one of those was for me."

Rosemary glanced up at Roy, her cheeks beginning to flush without her consent. "Y-you w-w-wish."

"Aw, damn." Roy made eye contact with the baker behind the till. "Can we al–"

"Nnnevermind," Rosemary waved her hand to dismiss his order before swatting him with it and lowering her voice. "Shut up."

He laughed and leaned down closer to her ear. "So you did order one for me after all, huh?"

"It w-was just t-to repay y-y-ou for last ti-ime," she puffed out her cheeks at him before reaching for the tray of coffees and the three small brown paper bags holding a croissant each just as she requested.

Roy beat her to it, of course. Placing his hand atop hers to stop her in her tracks without a word. "Well I suppose there's still next time for that," he mused. "Although I didn't expect to be picking up coffee and baked goods for the pretty boy too."

"It's n-not for Jean," she rolled her eyes.

Roy groaned dramatically. "It's not? Who else do I have to fight with for your attention?"

The blonde questioned him as she followed him out the door of the quaint bakery. "Since wh-when d-d-do y-you w-want my attention?"

Cringing, Roy wasn't exactly sure how he'd let that slip but it was already too late to take it back. "Since you told me you don't hate me," he shrugged, trying to act casual but failing miserably as the tips of his ears turned pink and betrayed his attempted poker face. "So who's the third wheel then?"