13 - Trepidation

Chapter Thirteen

Sitting in a secluded booth at The Leaky Tap, Roy and Rosemary shared a plate of fries after eating their burgers with a couple beers. Rosemary listened while Roy talked about his work frustrations that day, empathizing with how obnoxious it was when other people were too lazy to do things themselves. It wasn't until a natural lull in conversation and a third beer for both of them that Roy's eyes softened and he finally brought up why she'd even agreed to come in the first place.

"So...what's been on your mind today, Rose?"

The blonde sighed and took a long sip of her beer...and then another...and then one more to finish off her drink because she certainly didn't feel inebriated enough to numb to her feelings but she was tipsy enough for her stammer to relax a bit more. "Remember th-the time you t-told me you were haunted b-by some thhings?"

Roy hummed, glancing over at Maria the bartender and holding up two fingers to request another round before bringing his attention back to Rosemary fully. If she was going to talk about something of that nature, another drink was certainly in order.

"Thhank you...I could use another..."

"I had a feeling that you would." Roy reached out for her hand and gave it a tender squeeze before bringing it back to his beer bottle.

"I...I used to work at Sweet To-tooth w-when I was in college. Th-the early morning shift. I was always th-the first one in." Rosemary focused her eyes on the soggy label she was picking at on her bottle as she spoke. "I th-think thhhey were just teenagers...wh-who would bother trying to rob a bakery...but I um..."

The blonde paused as she heard Maria's approaching footsteps, murmuring a soft thank you as a fresh drink was put in front of her though she didn't have it in her to look up when she knew she was already on the verge of tears. Her hands trembled and she took a sip of her beer, and although the taste didn't register, the cold chill of the bottle under her fingertips did. "I w-was beaten within an inch of my life before I even made it inside...I w-was certain I was as good as d-dead."

Rosemary sniffled and a few tears had slid from the corners of her eyes, which she hadn't bothered to wipe away. There was no point. Her heart was irreparably damaged by the memory and the tears would just keep coming if she talked about it. "Th-the last thhhing I heard was one of th-them saying they thhought thhey killed me."

"Fuck," Roy muttered, his chest restricting not only at the thought of her being hurt, but also because he himself had had moments where he thought the same thing and that was something he wished she never had to endure.

The bustle of the pub, clinking glasses, and rowdy patrons all faded away as soon as Roy heard Rosemary whisper, "Sometimes I wish they had."

Unable to sit and do nothing after hearing her utter such words, Roy got up and slid in next to her in the booth. Although she was still facing forward, Roy's torso was angled to her and he wrapped her up in his arms, resting his chin atop her head. "I am so glad that you exist," he breathed, squeezing her for emphasis but not letting her go afterward.

"I..." Rosemary sniffled, leaning into Roy's chest to find the comfort she so desperately needed. "I'm glad thhat you do, too."

Part of Roy wanted to smile when he heard that, and if they were in a different situation right now he would have but he just couldn't find it within himself to smile when she was hurting so badly. "You don't have anything to worry about when I'm with you. I won't let anyone touch a hair on your head."

"You're t-touching my hair right now," Rosemary pointed out.

Roy loosened his hold on her and instead let the arm resting behind her back move up to allow his fingers to comb through her hair. His free hand reached out to slide her beer directly in front of her now that she was leaning against him. "If you really don't want me to, I'll stop. You're the one calling the shots, Rose."