19 - How Romantic

Chapter Nineteen

A soft beam of morning light streamed through Rosemary's nearly transparent white drapes, creating a warm atmosphere to wake up to when her alarm beeped at her. She grumbled and tried to roll over to hit snooze but the arm around her waist refused to budge.

"You're not getting away that easily."

Roy's husky morning voice sent a shiver down her spine and she nuzzled closer. "I w-was just gonna press snooze...are we still um...calling in t-today?"

Letting one of his hands travel down to the curve of her ass and squeeze her bare skin, Roy murmured into her ear. "I wouldn't be able to think of anything other than you if I went to work today."

"I...I'll send Maes a text t-to say I'm not coming t-today."

Roy smirked. "If I have any say in it you'll be coming today."

Rosemary let out an airy laugh and turned around in his grip to turn off the alarm and snag her phone off the nightstand.

Rosemary Reid
Sorry to message you so early, but I'm feeling unwell and won't be able to make it into work today.

Maes Hughes
No problem. Tell Roy I said hi ;)

"Oh my god," Rosemary cringed and when Roy questioned her she turned her phone toward him. Roy chuckled softly and slipped the device from her fingers.

Rosemary Reid
I don't say hi back, asshole.

Maes Hughes
I knew it! Have fun! 😂

Roy tossed her phone back onto the nightstand and pulled her close again. "Should we wake up or should we try and sleep a little longer?"

As Rosemary contemplated her options, a small smile curled her lips and she tilted her chin up to look at him. "I didn't have any nightmares, did you?"

Roy breathed out with relief hearing that and shook his head. "No, I didn't."

"Th-then w-we should sleep a little longer since neither of us usually get enough rest." Rosemary snuggled her nose into the crook of Roy's neck and hummed contently when he draped his leg over her hip to get more comfortable.

It was heaven to lay in bed with Rosemary in his arms, her breath fanning across his neck with every exhale. There was no way Roy was going to be able to fall asleep again, but he didn't want to. He wanted to indulge in how it felt to be with her, how he finally found a spot of sunshine in an otherwise tempestuous world...and how he knew this was exactly where he was meant to be.

Memories of their night together played behind his eyes, replacing the horrid sights that typically resided there. The way Rosemary's gaze turned lustful for him when she began to unbutton his shirt was more than mesmerizing but the feeling of her fingers dragging down his bare chest was even more impactful. To have her beneath him, panting his name and begging him for more only for her eyes to soften every time he leaned down to kiss her...it was bliss. It was more than he felt he deserved. She was more than he felt he deserved but now that she was here he wasn't going to let go. Not unless she wanted him to.

Roy kissed the top of Rosemary's head before resting his cheek against it. His fingers gently combed through her hair while his heart continued to beat, only now it wasn't beating as punishment; now his heart beat solely for her.

There was something about being held in Roy's strong arms that made Rosemary feel comforted and relaxed. She recalled the feeling, knowing she'd experienced it on multiple occasions, but as she laid cuddled up against his chest, listening to the steady heartbeat beneath her fingertips, she felt safe. Rosemary didn't need to worry about being in harm's way when he was around, Roy had said so himself and she did truly believe him, it only just began to sink in now. She was with someone who would care for her and whom she could care for in return. It was something she never imagined she'd be able to experience.

After drifting in and out of sleep for a while longer, Rosemary awoke and pressed her lips against Roy's collarbone. The hand she felt running softly through her hair paused and instead cradled her head closer to his chest and kissed her crown once more before releasing his hold on her.

"I love waking up like this," she whispered, scooching back just enough to be able to see his face and when their gazes met, the corners of Roy's lips curved up.

"Me too," he hummed. Her smooth legs tangled with his as she pulled herself up to lay her head on the pillow next to him. Rosemary caressed his jaw affectionately, her attention falling to his lips as she did so. Closing the gap between them, she gifted him with a soft kiss. "Mmm what was that for?"

"I w-was just th-thinking..."

Roy picked up a strand of her hair and curled it around his finger. "You were thinking..."

"I can't believe I fell in love with y-you," she smiled.

Roy chuckled, knowing full well what she meant. After everything they'd gone through, after all the fumbles and missteps, somehow they still ended up here. Together. "I can't either, actually. Do you need to see a shrink or something?"

"Maybe," Rosemary mused, thoughtfully caressing his arm as she tried to pinpoint the moment her feelings began to change but was unable to find an answer. "But even if I'm crazy, I don't th-think I'd change a th-thing."

Releasing her hair, Roy cupped Rosemary's cheek and stroked her warm skin with his thumb as he gazed into the matcha eyes that never failed to captivate him. "Even if you were actually crazy, I'd still be in love you."

"How romantic," Rosemary teased with a coy smile that made Roy's heart skip a beat.

Moving his hands slowly down her figure, over the swell of her breasts down to her stomach, Roy leaned in and brushed his nose against hers. Their lips were only inches apart and just when she leaned forward to close the distance, his fingers ran rampant and began to tickle her. An eruption of giggles escaped Rosemary as she tried to swat his hands away unsuccessfully and her words came out sporadically yet crystal clear. "Y-you...are such....an...asshole!"

"Yeah, but you love me anyway," he grinned, his heart filled to the brim in a way he would have only dreamed of.

"Do...not!" She wheezed.

"Do too," he countered childishly.

"Do...n–"

Cut off by a pair of lips crashing against hers as the tickle assault stopped, Rosemary was in a complete daze. Out of breath, panting as he kissed her passionately as if he would never have the chance to do so ever again, she could hardly think straight. How Roy made her feel this way she had no idea, but truly, she didn't mind. In fact, she enjoyed his shenanigans and his fire. His wit and admittedly his charm never ceased to amuse her, and when Roy pulled away and kissed the tip of her nose, she couldn't deny the words he hummed. "Do too."

🎉 You've finished reading 𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝙸𝚜 - 𝚁. 𝙼𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚐 𝚡 𝙾𝙲 🎉