is this a date?

The breeze is cool. The clouds passing above are in such random, pleasing patterns as I try to make sense of some kind of print. Birds swoop over occasionally,  their squawking piercing my ears.

It's somehow peaceful. Much more peaceful than life has been recently.

Latching onto the edge of the deck's outer border, I sigh, glancing down at the fields and rivers that pass below. I've always found looking down at least 2000 feet in the air somewhat chilling. It's neither a good or a bad feeling.

Everything has seemed to be difficult at the moment. It's as if the world has something against me - against the team - and we can't seem to get a break. Now that we've finally finished dealing with Chen and the tournament, that we finally have Zane back, we can relax until the next villain shows up. You best believe I'm gonna make the most of this time. 

The Tournament of Elements was stressful to say the least. I mean, when the team got back together and received the invites to the island, it felt almost like a nightmare. It was cool to know there were other elemental masters in the world but knowing we'd have to fight them was quite terrifying. We were still pretty new to our powers and I think most of us were struggling with controlling them fully but it was nice to be able to use them.

The other elemental masters were cool; it was just a shame that we couldn't get too close at first due to it being a tournament. I think we would've all gotten along well. But I suppose part of me is glad we had all the trouble in the beginning. It sort of makes our friendships stronger.

One thing I'm most grateful for, however, besides finding Zane, was my fight against Jay. Putting us against one another was cruel but we definitely needed it. It was nice to finally clear the air. I hate to admit it but I really did miss him, and now we're practically inseparable. It's weird because just over a month ago, I wanted nothing more but to stay away from him but now I just can't keep away.

I didn't know what it was at first.

"I'm glad we're hanging out more recently," I smile, glancing up at the auburn-haired boy sat opposite me.

He smiles too, "Same. It's relieving."

"We don't seem to get much alone time though."

"You want alone time together?"

"Uh.. I guess," I break eye contact briefly, chuckling awkwardly to myself. Jay giggles nervously.

When I look back up, I catch a glimpse of his eyes darting away from me. A grin appears on his lips, the light freckles on his cheeks fading for a moment, shielded by a light tinge of rose. 

"Oh."

"I.. meant that we could hang out or something. Y'know.. like best friends?" I shrug, not looking away this time.

He smirks, his eyes meeting mine once again, "Oh, that's what we are?"

"I just assumed,"  I chirp, "we haven't left each other's side since the fight."

 "Is that a bad thing?" he questions playfully.

"I never said that."

"It's like you're obsessed with me," Jay smirks, leaning his head on his hand.

"Maybe I am."

The playful flirting should've been a clear sign straight away. I'm not sure why it took me weeks to figure out. 

Eventually, that growing feeling beneath me just became unbearable and I couldn't wait to do something about it. After days of overthinking, I finally gathered the courage to ask him out but, just like most things I do, it didn't go to plan.