Falling for You

I wouldn't say galas are really my kind of place. Sure, parties are fun, especially if you're with your friends, but a fancy gala is a much bigger step up. Not only have I never been to one, but seeing all these wealthy people dressed in ballgowns and elegant tuxedos knowing that I'm just a massive fake kinda hits close to home. Literally.

Us ninja have never really had much when it came to our lives before saving the world. Kai and Nya raised themselves, running a shop they had no idea what to do with. Zane was an orphan, trying to find his place in the world. Lloyd was left at a dumb boarding school while his father was planning to take over the world and his mother was on a treacherous expedition. Cole went through years of pain losing his mum. My childhood was probably the best out of everyone's as I had a relatively safe home and two parents who loved me dearly, but being in a place like this has made me realise how little I had too.

My parents' business never really took off like it was supposed to. Some days it would be really good, a few people coming to the junk yard every now and then, but it was mostly a case of waiting just to see nobody turn up. We had little money. Being surrounded by people who've had money handed to them on a silver platter is making me feel slightly uneasy. It's like I'm completely out of place here.

But I try to enjoy it nonetheless.

We recently defeated Morro and his ghost army, saving not only Ninjago but the city of Stiix, so the mayor of the city - whom we've never even seen or met before - decided it would be a great idea to invite us to this super massive and famous gala. It's a nice sentiment and all but did he really think we'd have the money to pay for these beautiful outfits to make us fit in with these rich bellends? The others seemed to cover the cost of theirs but even being a ninja doesn't give you all the money in the world so I'm borrowing my dad's tux from when he was younger. It did need a little sewing to bring it back to life but it's actually pretty good, and has blue on it.

There's a musician playing some pretty snazzy tunes on the stage at the front of the small venue, with a crowd of people dancing to it. I can't lie, they aren't playing bad songs. Kai and Lloyd are raiding the buffet, Zane and Wu are talking with random people that they apparently know. I'm not sure where Cole and Nya are but last time I saw them, they were talking on the opposite side of the venue. Don't know what about, don't really care.

I'm sitting at a random free table on the right side of the dance floor, observing everyone. I never realised how many non-toxic personalities wealthy people actually have. Some aren't even stuck-up. I've met some pretty nice and humble people tonight so I guess I have something to be grateful for. I just wish I wasn't on my own for most of it. I like to think I'm usually a very sociable person but when you're feeling like an outcast in a room full of the richest people in the world, you suddenly don't feel like talking to anyone.

I glance back over at the buffet table, where Kai and Lloyd are discussing something that looks interesting with Cyrus Borg. Whatever it is, it must be much better than whatever Cole and Nya were talking about earlier. That conversation looked incredibly boring.

They've been hanging out a lot lately. Well, it's probably a normal amount for friends and I've probably just been focussing on it too much lately, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me. Cole and I have become really close recently too, and we do talk more than he does with her, but there's still a slight uneasy feeling in my stomach. We spoke about this stuff with Nya a while ago - not long after the tournament - and we both agreed to let it all go, to move on and focus on our friendship. We have. I guess up until now. I'm not sure whether it's because I still like Nya or if I'm feeling left out but this feeling is so unbearable sometimes. I just hate seeing them together.

Not seeing where they are is starting to bother me a little now too. I guess I'm saving myself the pain of seeing them get along but also not knowing what they're up to is slightly annoying. There's not many places for them to go in such a small venue.