lethal

It was all a blur. It happened so fast.

The sun was only just setting over the horizon when Cole found the portal. Being a ninja meant he'd seen many things in his lifetime, both crazy and unbelievable, so stepping foot in this unfamiliar space didn't make him even slightly nervous. It was more curiosity than anything. The ghost of his late sensei had brought him here, adamant on going through the strange portal that sat in the middle of nowhere. He wasn't sure what his master was asking him of but since Nya had stated previously that this ghost had directed her towards both Kai and Zane, perhaps he was trying to take Cole to someone too.

Little did he know, stepping foot into that portal was a bad idea.

He didn't remember much after entering, only being surrounded by bright lights and what looked like long corridors. It looked almost like a warehouse, but tidier and with no stock. It wasn't long until the brightness faded and his mind was shrouded in darkness, hitting the floor with such speed that it knocked him unconscious.

Now, waking up, all he could see was darkness, almost as if he hadn't opened his eyes at all. Glancing around, the only light seeping into the room was from multiple TV screens on a platform just opposite him. The air was thick with tension, attempting to move his hands to his face to move a lock of hair out of his view, but was only met with struggle as his arms and legs were tied with vengestone chains to a chair. Glancing back over the room - from what he could see - a large portal-looking machine stood in the corner, not activated. It looked much different to the one he entered.

What happened?

Cole's heart pounded in his chest. He'd been in this situation many times before, yet he was certain of where he was back then. He had no idea where he was now, and nobody knew he was there either. The uneasy feeling in his chest made him nervous. But why was he so scared?

Why had Wu led him here of all places? What was so important about this ominous building? And why was it making him hesitant.

A door to his left swung open, only a flash of red light coming from the room, a dark silhouette standing in the doorway. Cole squinted his eyes, trying to focus on the figure, but it was so dark he couldn't make out who it was. The person stepped forward into the darkness, the door slamming shut behind them.

For a minute, the only thing he could hear was footsteps around him, and then a very faint chuckle.

"Who are you?" Cole speaks, his voice bouncing off the walls, "where am I?"

"You don't know?"

The voice was deep and sinister, but had a strange tinge to the accent, something he swore he'd heard before.

Cole frowns, narrowing his eyes at the darkness before him.

"You're in the Administration," they spoke again, "but you'd know that, wouldn't you?"

Did he recognise that voice? Where had he heard it before?

"I stepped through a portal, I didn't know where it led or-"

They laugh.

That was incredibly familiar, but Cole couldn't quite place his finger on it. There was a much darker sound to it, much different than to what he had heard, but the laugh was signature. Who did it remind him of?

"Who steps through a mysterious portal without knowing where it leads?" they respond, "don't play stupid. You knew exactly what you were doing."

"What do you want with me?"

"I'm waiting to find out where you've come from so I can send you back ."

"What?"

"Tell me and it'll make this easier for the both of us," their voice is a little less deep this time.

Shit .