Innocent Eyes

"What did you do?"

The boy in blue steps back from the window, his hands shaking vividly.

What had he done?

Everything had been perfectly okay until that final battle against the Crystal King. The ninja's only option to save the world was to sacrifice their powers, potentially losing them forever. They knew it would be difficult. But when Wu had told them there was still hope of their powers returning, they trained daily, working on harnessing their true potential within.

Kai's was coming back pretty quickly, he was only working on controlling it properly now, and was doing less training. Whenever he does train, Nya usually joins him, so they can work together on controlling their powers much like they did when they first got them.

Zane was doing quite well with it, too, with much help received from Pixal, he would likely have it down in no time.

Cole and Jay worked together. They were both mostly on the same track, stuck on harnessing their powers fully. They did meditation early in the morning, drank lots of herbal teas and worked on keeping calm in stressful situations - which was mostly for Jay's sake. The blue ninja helped make the black ninja loosen up whenever he got frustrated; the black ninja helped cheer the blue ninja up whenever he got down about it.

Except almost a week ago, Jay's powers proved to be taking a turn for the worst. One day when Jay and Cole were playing video games in the games room of the newly-built Monastery, the lightning master had gotten a little too angry for losing and scared the life out of both of them when the lightbulb behind them sizzled, brightened and exploded.

They'd questioned Wu about it, who suggested that maybe Jay's powers were coming back stronger than before - or they were still well out of control - and could break things such as lightbulbs if there was too much power nearby. Jay's anger must've strengthened the amount of watts in the bulb and it therefore exploded. They didn't seem to think much of it that time though. Sometimes mistakes would happen.

But when it started happening every time Jay was near something electrical - angry or not - they would come very close to exploding if he managed to catch it on time. Although, Jay didn't even feel out of control. It didn't seem to make sense. Wu offered extra training sessions with him to avoid the situation becoming worse, though, and it was starting to take effect.

However, this time was much different.

On the ninja's first mission back after losing their powers, the team had split off into pairs - Kai and Lloyd, Nya and Zane, Jay and Cole - to tackle one of the three different issues across Ninjago. The first was in Nom, hometown of the Smith siblings. Kai wanted to pay a visit to his parents while he was there so he and Lloyd took that option. Nya and Zane headed towards the toxic bogs. There was known to be a few disturbances and seemed to be the easier option out of the three. That left Jay and Cole to head to the NGTV News Station, which had been completely abandoned due to something they were completely unaware of.

It was likely all three disruptions were linked, especially considering they happened all around the same time, but there was no way of telling when they didn't know what was going on.

Jay's powers, however, weren't proving to help at all. The worst part of it all is that no one could pinpoint why it was happening. There was no power surge like there was for Nya. The only stress he'd been experiencing recently was from the fear of losing his powers again, but even then, his lightning had never been affected by his anxiety before. It made no sense.

Why were they doing this?

"Jay?"

The blue ninja took another step back from the window, glancing up to see the lights in the city flickering, and eventually gone out.