outbloom

It's said that if you turn a bluebell inside out without tearing it, you'll win the one you love. If you wore a wreath of bluebells, you will only be able to speak the truth. Humility.. Constancy.. gratitude.. everlasting love..

Although slightly damp and humid, grass proved to act as a good cushion; a blanket to the earth and its secrets beneath. The sky was a perfect shade of light blue, clouds placed here and there that thankfully shielded the sun slightly. A slight bustling could be heard in the distance - that of the city not far from where they were laying - but barely paid attention to it.

Little bugs scurried across the grass around them, almost crushing them, but it was all worth it for that refreshing and relaxing feeling they once experienced when they were just children. When life had been so simple.

It didn't feel strange for the master of earth to be so close to his element, but for Jay, who was master of an element in the skies, he was finding a new connection with nature. It was helping to calm his heart and mind greatly. There had been too many distractions lately. Too much stress.

But that was just the ordinary life of a ninja.

If only their lives reflected that of the little bugs and clouds. If only they didn't need a care in the world. If only they could lay here forever and not have to worry about anything.

This mysterious yet mind-blowing place was heaven. Everyone was kind to each other; careful and warm. It felt so weird, almost like some sort of cruel dream, but they found themselves not wanting to leave. An out-of-body experience.

Except it wasn't. They were in a district they'd never seen or heard of before, alone and terrified, wondering when they'd be home. Although it was nice while it lasted - being able to lay back, stare at the clouds and think about everything they'd been through - it wasn't real, and it wasn't theirs. They didn't belong here.

Jay's head turned to the right slightly, almost colliding with the leaf of one of his favourite flowers. The lightning master had never taken a liking to such plants despite admiring them from afar, but now he could stare at one up close, noticing every little detail about the petals, the pigments, and every little creature that passed by it. This wasn't just some plant he liked the look of but a home to so many, much like the home he had. It may seem like nothing compared to someone so much bigger, but it meant a lot to those smaller.

Bluebells did look nice, though.

Not far from it, blue could see the petals from another flower, but this time admired by the boy beside him. Lilies had always been Cole's favourite, especially since they reminded him of his mother, but there was something so graceful and elegant about them; something so pure.

That represented his friend well.

"A frog."

His head whipped back round to the left, almost colliding with the top of his friend's shoulder. A confused expression sat comfortably on his slightly sunburnt face. A light hum left his mouth, signalling his curiosity. The black hair he'd been so focused on moved slightly, revealing the earth ninja with a smile.

"The cloud."

He raises his hand to point for a second as Jay's eyes lay on the white fluff in the sky. It really did look like a frog.

Silence creeps in again. The lack of awkwardness is comforting but the feeling of loneliness only became stronger; Cole could sense it. The longer either of them waited to talk about it, the more difficult it would be in the end. Although they had each other, it still felt as if they were far away, stuck on their own in a place they knew was wrong - not that they had much choice.