two

The bell rang and students filled the hallways, rushing toward the nearest doors to finally be finished for the day. You pressed a smile on your dash as you wished the students goodbye and slightly waved to them. As soon as the last student left, you shut and locked the door. You needed a moment. Leaning back against the firm wooden door, you closed your eyes and allowed yourself to dwell on the exhausting day you had and how much pain you were in.

Your students hadn't been good. Your worst student, though you loved him dearly, was giving you a run for your money. Due to spending so much time trying to manage his behavior, you felt that you couldn't actually teach and that the behaviors of your other students worsened because of it. This, on top of your arthritis, was the reason you were not doing well.

You heard the door knob turn and the door jostle slightly against your back. Someone was trying to get in and you should probably let them, but you were so exhausted.

"Y/N," you heard Obi-Wan softly call through the door. "I know you're on the other side. I can see you through the window." You cursed yourself, forgetting the window running alongside the door. "Just let me in."

"I'm fine," you told him through the door. "I'm just working on something for tomorrow—hanging something on the door." You cringed at your own words, not believing them yourself.

You could hear Obi-Wan sigh from where he was standing on the other side of the door. "I'll be in my room if you need anything."

You stayed put while you listened to Obi-Wan's footsteps disappear into his classroom. You needed to get to your car and go home. You needed rest and medication. Peeling your back off the door, you achingly limped toward where your backpack was sitting near your desk. You packed up, walked back to the door, and slipped out of it. You walked as quickly as you could so that Obi-Wan couldn't see you.

~~~

Obi-Wan was working in his classroom. He did a double-take when he saw you outside, heading for your car. His brows furrowed at your limp, wondering what happened.

"Hey, have you seen Y/N?" Padme wondered, standing in the doorway. "Her lights are off and her room is locked."

"Yeah," Obi-Wan responded, watching you get in your car and start it. "She's leaving."

Padme walked over to see you drive away. She could tell—especially since you left so fast—that it hadn't been a great day. Glancing over that the man beside her, Padme noted that Obi-Wan was keeping his eyes where he saw you drive off. There was almost a heavy air of concern around him. She knew that Obi-Wan suspected something was up with you and she was desperately wishing that you would just tell him about your illness.

"She'll be okay," Padme said, trying to comfort her friend. "It was just a long day. She needs some rest."

"Yeah..." Obi-Wan responded, still staring out the window.

Padme gave Obi-Wan's arm a light squeeze as she turned and head back toward the door. "I'll see you tomorrow, Obi-Wan."

~~~

Obi-Wan's foot was nervously tapping as he sat in his car and waited for your car to pull it. It was ten minutes past the time you were supposed to arrive (per your contract) and there was no sign of you yet. He sighed as he glanced down at the two cups in his cup holder. He had wanted to surprise you with the drink you so often showed up to school with and walk you inside but now he wasn't sure you were even coming today.

With a shag of his shoulders, Obi-Wan got out of his car. He slung his bag over his shoulder and grabbed the two cups before closing the car door with his hip. He began to head into the school when he noticed your car turning into the parking lot. Relief flooded him as a smile grew on his face.