◾CHAPTER VII◾

"So...you said you knew my Hannah?" The old lady motioned for me to come in.

"Y-yes." I rubbed my sweaty palms against the back of my jeans.

"You see, my Hannah didn't have much friends. She never talked about her friends but I'm glad you're here. Come on in."

I could finally release the breath I was holding. For just a fleeting moment I thought she'd figure me out.

"Do you want me to get you anything, dear?"

"You don't have to worry about-"

"Oh no, I insist. You just wait here a minute and I'd get you something to drink."

I perched on a brown sofa waiting for her to return, which she did about five minutes later with two cups of coffee. She handed me a cup.

"So, how can I help you?" She asked as she gently stroked her cat.

"Um..." I dropped the cup of scalding hot coffee on a side table after taking a little sip. "I'd love to know where Hannah is."

"It was all over the news." There was a pause. "Hannah's gone. Sh-she was murdered." The old lady's eyes moistened.

"Oh my... I never knew that. I'm-I'm so sorry." I tried to stomp down any rising guilt I felt about lying to this seemingly innocent, old lady.

"It's been a year now. You're part of the few people that has bothered to ask about her."

I shifted in my seat. "And the police?"

"They did drop by some time ago and a handful of reporters, asked some routine questions and that was about it." she waved a hand in the air dismissively. "Last I heard was that the investigation was closed due to lack of evidence."

I nodded slowly. "Someone told me a while ago that the truth always finds a way to come out." A certain Officer came to mind.

"And I'm sure whoever did that to her would pay for what they've done."...and for what they did to my father. I placed my hand on hers.

"My sweet Hannah." The old lady sniffed and chuckled sadly. "It's so not fair."

I blinked back my own tears. She felt the same pain I was feeling. She was still grieving just like I was.

Now isn't the time to get emotional! I chided myself.

A single tear still managed to escape my eye. I swiped at my right cheek with the back of my palm.

"Again, I'm so sorry, truly, I am." I cleared my throat.

"You know, hold on a minute. I've got something to show you. You just wait here." She got up from her armchair. "You too beady." She addressed her cat laid on a pillow on the floor, who only purred in return, before slowly exiting the room.

She came back with a fairly large cardboard box, thankfully before her cat, beady-who had been staring daggers at me before she returned-could pounce on me.
It seemed the cat didn't like me that much. She handed the box over to me.

"I donated most of Hannah's clothes and shoes to charity but I still kept a few of her things. I didn't quite understand some of the stuff she left in her room but perhaps you would."

My fingers were anxiously twitching to open the box so I did, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

"And have you shown this to the police?" I questioned.

"No, I-I didn't think it would be that important." She paled, just realizing her mistake. "I wish I could actually do... more for her." Her voice broke mid-sentence.