◾CHAPTER VIII◾

Officer Conway was not at Joe's Java when I arrived.

The rich aroma of fresh coffee hit me once I stepped into the café. I chose to wait a little longer until five minutes turned into ten and ten to thirty. Forty-five minutes later and yet there were still no signs of him.

I had a short chat with the waitress, Rosie, from a few days ago. Apparently, apple pies were today's special and I chose to have that, along with a glass of mixed berry smoothie.

Rosie confirmed that Officer Conway hadn't dropped by before then, which was unlike him not to, but she assured me that he may turn up anytime soon. That wasn't exactly reassuring.

A few minutes past the hour of five left me antsy and on the verge of ordering another chocolate muffin-I had had a chocolate muffin after my initial apple pie-when the Officer in question waltzed into the café, both hands stuffed in his pockets.

He wasn't wearing a jacket this time but a grey button-up shirt with both its sleeves rolled halfway up and a pair of black jeans. I noticed he didn't have his badge on.

Officer Conway was walking up to a free table on the left when his eyes met mine. Not seeming any bit surprised to see me here, his signature smile graced his lips as I waved him over to my table.

"If I didn't know better, I would say you came here looking for me." He took a seat across me and crossed both arms, that action caused the sleeves of his grey button-up shirt to strain as his muscles bulged underneath the fabric.

"Tsk. Perhaps, coincidence?" I fumbled with the straw of my drink. Nevermind the heat that crept up my face, right?

It was obvious he saw right through me but chose not to say anything about it, rather he gave me a knowing smile.

"Anyway." I cleared my throat, "There's something important I need to discuss with you."

He sat up straighter, sobering up. "Fill me in."

"It's about my father's murder inquiry." No surprise there. "The thing is...some things just don't add up."

His brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I-I've have been doing my own solo investigations." I gauged his reaction. "And I know it may sound stupid or crazy even but letting things go so easily isn't an option for me." I quickly interjected.

"And some things don't add up?"

I sighed. "Maybe the police have been lying to my mom and I. Or they aren't telling us something.I mean, I trust Detective Stuart a hundred percent, but..."

"Alright, let's start from the top. There's hardly a murder without a motive. So, who would have had the motive to murder Detective Lowe?"

I thought for a moment. Everyone in town loved and admired my father. He was like the town's personal hero. But I remembered my last discussion, if you could call it that, with Detective Stuart. "Detective Stuart did say my father stepped on the toes of a lot of people but he didn't specify. And then there's the threat notes." I tucked an errant hair behind my ear.

"What threat notes?" Officer Conway's broad shoulders stiffened.

"Um...a few days ago, I think? I found them hidden in a book. My father probably hid them there. They were directs threats and the last one was sent a day before he was murdered." The mere thought of that still left me horrified.

"He had an enemy who wanted him dead, then."

"Maybe from his previous investigations?"

"Most likely." A muscle in his jaw twitched. "And where are the threat notes now?"