Sign of Trust

PROMPT

82). "You know I trust you, right?"

Lightening streaked across the sky, illuminating every shadow in sight in the darkness of night. It was a momentary relief from stumbling around blind, but it was the earth-shattering thunder that followed that was unbearable. The rain pounded the ground like angry fists against an assailant. Puddles the size of lakes formed in yards and drowned drains along the sidewalk.

It was a perfect summer storm.

It was a shame that not everyone enjoyed this kind of weather.

Then again, who could enjoy it when they were trudging through it?

Was it because he was out in it?

No.

Was it because he was alone and on edge?

No.

Matt certainly hated this weather. He had always despised storms, ever since he was a child. There was just something so menacing about every natural phenomenon and disaster; Matt couldn't understand why anyone would choose to enjoy it.

He especially despised it because every splash of the rain soaked him from head to toe, impacting his body like a prodding, human finger.

Matt was a pet, a miniature biological construction humans created to emulate being human without providing them rights and simple liberties. Even though every pet possessed sentience, they were deemed lesser beings and sold off like the common guinea pig at the pet stores.

Matt had been to many homes in his past, causing trouble now and then, but he had finally done it.

He had escaped.

The little boy who insisted on playing soldier with him had forgotten to clamp the lock completely shut on Matt's cage, and it took no time at all for the six inch tall humanoid to slip out of the cage, shimmy down the desk he was on using the few pieces of functional Army equipment he could find, and made a mad dash for the front door just in time for the father to come home. Though Matt's skill was in intellect, thriving in literature and history, the skills he gained in the short time of playing soldier were already coming in handy.

His stealth and agility had increased dramatically, giving him the chance of escaping to the outside world.

Matt dared not stay inside the house, lest he be found by that intimidating child. Still, outside wasn't a long-term viable solution either. The raging storm was preferable to the child, but just barely.

Matt half sped-walked, half jogged along the sidewalk, dodging raindrops and puddles, unsure of where he was going next. What he did know was he was done. He was done being a pet. He was done playing by rules he didn't help create. He was just done. Matt didn't want to go back into a cage, but he certainly didn't want to try and survive outside. His current skillset wouldn't get him through the rest of the week.

Was there even a way he could have a compromise of both?

He didn't know.

What he did know was that he would drown in this torrential rain if he didn't find cover soon.

The pet glanced around, eyes squinting in the spattering rain, as he tried to gain his bearings. His original home was nowhere in sight, but it was obvious he was still in the same neighborhood. The houses all had yards which looked miles long, but they weren't very wide; that is, for human standards.

Unable to see very far, Matt made the only logical decision he could, which was to walk toward the first house he spotted with a completely dark interior. If the inside was dark, it meant no one was awake and it would make his entry into the residence ideal.