The five times Simoun Azul was smitten

Smitten: be attracted to someone or something.

The fifth happened and it was just because of a simple incident. There was a sudden rain that day and he had forgotten to bring his umbrella. He was inside a store, still holding the plastic bag that contained a box of chicken bouillon, two pieces of sayote, an onion and a full head of garlic. He was looking around for a familiar face. Balak niyang makisabay sa paglakad pero wala naman siyang kakilala. Iniisip na niya kung susugurin na ba niya ang ulan para naman makauwi na siya. Hindi naman ganoon kalayo ang bahay at tindahan na iyon. Leira needs the ingredients because his daughter badly wanted to eat tinola.

Right. Tatakbo na lang siya sa ulan, but even before he moved, someone already stood beside him with an umbrella. He was a bit taken a back. Standing beside him was his best bud, si Ido – wala nang iba. Mukhang humahangos pa ito papunta sa kanya. Bahagya rin basa ang damit na suot nito. Indikasyon na para bang nagmadali itong makarating kung nasaan man siya.

"My labs! Buti naabutan kita! Hindi ka nabasa! Hindi ka magkakasakit!" Ido sounded so sure and smug at that moment and Simoun Paul Azul couldn't help but smile while looking at him. Sa tuwa niya kay Thaddeus ay inakbayan niya ito. He pulled him closer.

"Putang ina ka, Ido. Tara na nga!" Simoun didn't know why but his heart is racing so fast that it could be shown by the wide smile on his face.

The fourth incident happened in Violet and Rigor's wedding. Simoun Paul was feeling a bit blue because his youngest daughter is getting married. Nothing could've have prepared him for this day. In the eyes of the father, a daughter will always be that little girl running around, chasing him and trying to get his attention. Violet is like that and as a father, he couldn't fathom the fact that he is about to give her away to a man – practically a stranger that could hurt her in a snap. He wasn't feeling it. Clearly, his wife is happy. She was crying happy tears, but Simoun was crying because he felt like he failed to protect baby girl.

He didn't think he could do it. Hindi yata niya mailalakad si Violet sa altar. Hindi niya kaya. Maybe Ares could do that instead of him.

"My labs! Anong ginagawa mo rito?"

"Go away." He shut Ido immediately. He wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. There is a reason why he chose to stay near the door. Hindi niya gusto ang mga nangyayari, But Ido – being Ido held onto him and even though he was shaking him off, Ido kept on trying to hold onto him.

"Ang pakipot mo naman, My labs!" Napapalatak pa si Ido habang kinakausap si Azul. Simoun looked at his dear friend with his forehead wrinkled. "Tsk! Alam ko namang hindi ka masaya, pero tingnan mo si Violet." Pilit na iniharap ni Ido sa si Azul sa kinatatayuan ni Violet. Simoun Paul stopped for a minute to stare at his beautiful daughter. Leira was hugging Violet; they were both crying. Blue joined them and the three women in his life was in a hug while crying happy tears and now he is asking himself why he feels like this. He should be happy because his little girl has found her happiness. Violet will be starting the new chapter of her life and the best part of it is that he is still in it. He shouldn't feel like this. Rigor is a good kid, he knows that he will take care of his little girl.

"Lahat naman sila iiwanan tayo, Simoun." Ido suddenly spoke. "All we need to do is be supportive. Diba ganoon ang sabi mo noong minsang sinabi kong natatakot akong mag-aasawa na ang dalawang dalaga ko. Tama ka naman. Alam ko ring iba si Violet, pero ang mahalaga masaya siya. Diba iyon naman ang priority nating lahat?"

Simoun Paul Azul hates it whenever Ido is right, and at this moment, he hates him, he hates that he is right and he hates that he realized that he is a jerk for feeling like this. He gave Ido a small smile.