5 : E

Martee

" Martee, oh goodness hija!" Si Lola Thelma, ina ng aking mama ang dumating galing ng Batangas.

" Your mother called and told me that your father was involved in the shooting incident this morning kaya napapunta agad kami rito" Concern was evident in her voice. I did not shed a tear and face her.

" Pasensha na po lola" I whispered.

Niyakap lamang ako ni lola.

We were updated by my father's assistants that he has been arrested already and charged of murder. At kasalukuyan ng nasa prisinto siya. My mother also was inside prison. Nagsampa din daw ng kaso si tita Kristina sa mama ko.

Our name has been severely tainted.

Kasama ko si lola na pumunta ng prisinto. Naabutan namin sina papa na nakakulong. They both look like people who were taken forcibly against their will. Hindi ko alam ang mararamdaman ko. I should get mad. I should shout at my father for killing a person and my mother for sleeping with a married man. But I wasn't raised to act that way.

I looked at my father straight in his eyes.

" We will find a good lawyer for you. We will go through your criminal case and so with mom's legal case." Nakitaan ko ng pagsisisi sa mga mata ng aking ama at ina ngunit huli na ang lahat. The damage has been done. A man was shot dead. A man with so much capability to lead people. A father, a husband.

I don't want to shed a tear. I never shed a tear infront of someone, infront of anyone. Because I was raised to believe that a tear is equal to weakness.

Ilang sandali pa ay biglaang humandusay sa sahig si lola. We rushed her to the nearest hospital. The nurses immediately took good care of her and did some blood works.

The doctor diagnosed her with Myocardial Infarction and admitted her at the ICU. A Coronary artery bypass graft is needed immediately and money is the name of the game.

Napaupo ako sa labas ng ICU. My grandmother needs me right now and so with my parents. 

LUMIPAS ang isang linggo. The funeral for the late governor was done and yet here I am, placed in a situation in which I don't know what to do. I paid lawyers. I paid doctors. I also sold some of our properties to pay for the lawyer's acceptance fee and for the case to continually move forward but still, a higher family has been in control of everything. Desidido si tita Kristina na mabulok ang aking mga magulang sa kulungan. I also need to pay for my grandmother's hospital bills. Aabot na ng halos isang milyon ang bayarin namin sa ospital and yet I don't know her prognosis.

Bukas na ang graduation ko. I don't even know if I would attend or not. Pagchichismisan lamang ako dun at hindi papansinin. I will be someone equal to a person with leprosy.

My heart has been crying all damn time. Ubos na ubos na ako. But I cannot show weakness. Isa isa ng nagsisialisan ang mga kasama namin. All my father's employees resigned at the same day, leaving his office empty and non functional.

I already sold two of our cars. I sold half of our lands. Masyadong mahal ang singil ng mga abogado sa amin and my father wants me to pay them ASAP in order for them to move. Money moves people. Pero nauubos din ang pera.

Standing infront of my school, I immediately took the attention of the crowd. I felt like I am forbidden to even attend my own graduation ceremony.

Umupo ako sa upuan ko. I don't have someone with me. Si manang Nancy lamang ang natira sa bahay pero hindi siya puwedeng sumama dahil walang maiiwan sa bahay. I drove my own car. My father once taught me how to drive a car. I never thought it would be this useful now.

I was sitting silently, waiting patiently while the ceremony is still ongoing when I sensed a familiar perfume. Sa likod ko ay umupo si Kuya Santi. With all his might and popularity, he sat down unmoved by all the attention he gained by just sitting behind me.

My heart cried with joy and sadness.

Behind me is someone, fatherless. Someone worthy to impute hatred towards me and my family. Someone I don't have the right to even call as my friend.

But that someone, is behind me, sitting. Supporting me.

——