Homerun King

By day, he's the talk of the town. He's the one that everyone wants to be. He's Mr. Popular. Always in fashion, from the style of his haircut to the company of his boxers. He sets the trends. But by night, that's when his insides leak out. Literally. As he still wets the bed and has to wear goodnites to help protect his mattress.

Yes, that superhero is me. I'm Matt and I'm 13 years old. All my friends know me as the star athlete, but they don't know about my secret side, the side of me with the nighttime issues. Bedwetting is something I've dealt with in secret and I'm thankful for that. I even believe that my 2 sisters are clueless about my problem.

When I was 12, I went to a day camp. Being the best athlete, I always ended up on the worst teams for the league program. I just never had the secondary help. Finally, this was my year. My team was actually headed to the championship game, and I was ecstatic.

That night, I couldn't stop talking about the game. I begged my parents to come watch the game. My father couldn't take off from work, but my mother said that she would come.

Before I got ready for bed, I laid out my clothes. I had my lucky boxers (the ones with the green clovers on them), lucky white baseball pants, lucky socks and of course my team shirt.

I then went to my drawer to pull out a Goodnite, but the package was empty. I went to my mother and told her that I had an issue in my room. She came upstairs and I showed her that I was out of goodnites. She told me that I could either wear my baby sister's diaper or just suffer one night with a wet bed. I said that I'll wear the diaper. She went and got me one. As she diapered me, she said that she'll get me some more goodnites tomorrow, but that I must be on top of how many I have left. She then tucked me into bed and wished me luck on the championship game.

The next day, I awoke bright and early. I was excited and nervous. I went to camp and that's when the butterflies flew into my stomach. The game was scheduled for 2 o'clock in our local park. We got there at 1:50. A few kids commented on my choice of pants, as they were a bit see through. But I didn't care as I needed all the luck I could get.

At 2 o'clock, I saw my mother come wheeling my baby sister in her carriage. I got excited and brought her to sit right near our team's seats. She handed me some cold Gatorade and told me to stay hydrated.

We were up 3-2 in the 7th inning, when my sister started getting fussy. My mother went to the bottom of the carriage, to get her blanket. As she emptied the bottom to get it, she pulled out her shopping. And because of New York's rule of no plastic bags, everything was loose. So she pulled out some cans of vegetables first, amongst other items. But then she pulled out my package of Xl goodnites. I tried to hide them. But it was too late. Everyone saw.

"Matt, why do you have goodnites". "Matt, is a baby". These are just some of the heckling I got. I quickly struck out the side, to win the championship. But I couldn't celebrate as I wanted to dig a hole. Thankfully the heads of camp, stuck up for me and threw those kids out. But my secret was out and my reputation ruined.

Moral of the story, always have spare bags when you go shopping.