Chapter 1

Liinken's feet ached as he trudged through the darkened woods around him. It had been two days since he had slept or ate, and his body was beginning to rebel against him. If it hadn't been for the stamina spell he cast an hour ago, he may have passed out from exhaustion a long time ago.

Liinken looked to the sky, seeing the setting sun between the openings of the trees. He had made his way from the City of Terotid in good time, taking him only a day to make it this far. However, he did not dare stay in the city for too long, as it was well known for its many dangers, especially for children with no parents to protect them. Because of this, he was unable to find a place to sleep and fill his belly.

But Liinken was no ordinary child. Having been on his own since he was 4, he had a higher-level intelligence then those of his age. While his peers were busy learning their primary colors, he was already mastering equations and reading chapter books. This intelligence allowed him to develop interests in other areas, while leading him to what he would later discover to be his greatest talent: magic.

Magic was a rare gift, one that was only passed down to one in every three generations. His magical aptitude was apparent early on. He devoured the words from all the magical books and scrolls he could get his hands on, soaking in every bit of knowledge he could. It was more than a joy for him, it was an obsession. His parents fostered his love of learning, and thoroughly encouraged him. Liinken felt his stomach drop as he thought about his parents. He could barely remember them, as he had lost them so many years ago. He had been alone for more than half his lifetime, wandering the Realm, stealing and smuggling to survive. He often wondered what his life would be like if his parents were still alive today. Perhaps he would have been enrolled in the Magician's Academy, which was his dream for as long as he could remember. But it didn't matter anyway. He didn't need a formal education, he could learn anything he wanted to on his own.

His stomach grumbled audibly as he walked. He was beginning to feel faint. The effects of the stamina spell must be wearing off. He had to find some food and shelter for the night. Opening his satchel, he retrieved an old, weathered map. He had been walking through the Royal Woodlands, being careful not to leave the marked trail. The Council of Safety placed wards on these trails to protect travelers from the creatures that occupied darkened woods. Stepping off the trail and out of their range was not usually a good idea.

After inspecting the map, he saw that there was an inn about two leagues north, at the mouth of the forest. He replaced the map and withdrew his money bag. He had ten gold coins, six silver, and five copper. He would have enough to purchase a meal for sure, but he would most likely have to find shelter elsewhere. Lodging was usually expensive, and he didn't wish to splurge if he didn't have to.

An hour passed as he made his way through the winding trail. Finally, he breathed a sigh of relief as he saw the roof of the inn from the map. Once he approached it, he stood back to get a good look. It was not the largest inn he had ever seen, and it was obvious that it was old and slightly decrepit. There were many broken tiles in the roof that were patched by home-made rather than professional means. One of the windows was broken out entirely, covered with boards. The lawn in front was uneven, with several items ranging from toys to articles of clothing strewn across it. To the right of the inn was a stable and a barn, where he could see several horses and animals buckled down for the night.

As Liinken approached the entrance of the inn, he could smell the heavenly aroma of suckling pork, mutton, and various other meats, as well as the delightful yeasty smell of freshly baked breads. His ears were met with lively music as he opened the door, pleasant to listen to, but rather loud for his liking. He approached the innkeeper's table, ringing the bell on the counter for service.

"Aye, be right with ye," he heard a voice from the door behind the counter. A few moments later, a tall young woman walked through the doorway. She wore a white flowing dress with a light-blue bodice, her bright yellow hair cut short, stopping midway down her neck. She looked no older to be 17, but carried herself with a maturity beyond her age. She looked frazzled, with a harried and impatient look etched on her face.