Chapter 4

Lynne the Younger's breath hitched slightly as she easily lifted bales of hay into the barn. This was part of her daily chore, and she hated it. She hated mucking out stables and grooming horses, almost as much as she hated waiting tables. She was meant to be slaying dragons, fighting evil, and earning her place among the Knights of the Hammer Guard. Her parents tried to encourage her to reach for her dreams, but the truth was, the Hammer Guard was mostly filled with sons and daughters of Nobility. It was difficult for the daughter of a peasant to become a knight. But she still dreamed. In the meantime, her parents encouraged her to make the most of her situation, but she still found it tiresome.

But the arrival of this boy, this young mage, could change things for her. She finally had a reason to go to the capital. If she could show him how strong she is, perhaps maybe he could vouch for her. Approval from a mage, any mage, would be worth its weight in gold according to the Hammer Guard. But her mother stubbornly refused to let her go. She knew the reason behind it, but she was dismayed all the same. She threw the bale of hay into the pile in frustration. Stopping only to take a breath, she eyed her sparring equipment in the barn. She supposed she could take a moment to get in a quick training session with her practice dummy. She picked up her sword and began attacking the training dummy, which stood as tall as she and was set on spinning gears and wheels, with wooden sticks protruding from the sides. This allowed the sticks to spin to and fro and allowed Lynn to properly practice as if she was fighting multiple foes.

Several minutes passed as she continued to train, finally stopping to catch her breath. She supposed that she should return to her chores, when she turned to see with surprise that the young mage, Liinken, had been watching her. He was leaning against the wooden walking stick he carried with him when first arriving at the inn.

"Ye have skill with a blade," he said.

"Verily," said Lynne proudly. "Do ye fancy a match?" She added hopefully. "I have always wanted to challenge a powerful mage such as yourself."

"Ye think too much of me," said Liinken, dismissing her compliment with a wave. "I do what I must to survive, but I am no warrior."

"Ye felled three men twice your size," Lynne pointed out.

"Drunks and workmen," said Liinken. "Hardly as skilled with the sword as ye are." He lifted his hand, which began to glow, and Lynne watched in awe as the bales of hay were lifted into the air and placed in the pile she had created. "I prefer practical magic over combat."

Lynne sighed wistfully as she leaned up against one of the hay bales, staring into the sunset. "What ails thee, my lady?" Asked Liinken.

"I love my home," said Lynne. "And I love my family. But I long to be more than just a chambermaid. I wish for adventure. I wish to become a knight, but I cannot have either if I remain here."

Liinken stood next to her, leaning on his staff. "Adventure is not as. . . enjoyable as ye think," he said, causing Lynne to glance towards him in surprise. "If the truth be told, 'tis I that envy the life ye have here." Lynne cocked her head to the side in confusion. This mage claimed to have traveled all over the realm. Why would he choose a boring life such as hers?

"I have been on my own a long time," Liinken continued. "My mother and father were. . . taken from me at a young age. I barely remember what they look like."

"I am sorry," said Lynne, ashamed that she touched a sore subject.

"Do not worry," said Liinken, dismissing her concern. "But what ye call adventure, I call survival. When one is on their own, one must find ways to survive, or they will perish. There are many dangers in the wild. There is no one to look after you. No one to hold you at night. No one to tell you they love you..."