Chapter 3

Author's Note: Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Your feedback has been great, but I realize that I need to elaborate a little bit more on a few things, namely the setting of the story.

The story doesn't take place in the middle-ages per se, but rather a fantasy AU, like Middle Earth or Narnia. In this universe, the world is divided into Nine Realms, which is ruled by nine magistrates, and a King that oversees them all. Magicians are usually found in the nobility, and are therefore among the most revered by the masses, along with priests and the aristocracy. In this world, women are on equal grounds with men. They can own land, pursue non-feminine roles, and even become knights. There are a few groups who still see them as subordinate to men, but they are the exception to the rule.

I don't want to give out more information right now out of fear of spoiling too much, but more about the world will be revealed. Thank you again for reading and let me know if you have any other questions or comments!

Liinken was running, fear gripping his heart. He had to get away. That. . . thing . . . was still chasing him. He watched it helplessly as it destroyed his home and devoured his parents. He could still hear their screams as they told him to run for his life. He wanted to help them. He wanted to do anything to help them, but there was nothing he could do. He only just made it out in time as the fire began to consume the house.

He stopped to hide behind a large tree, gasping as he tried to catch his breath. Surely he was safe now. There was no way that thing could survive the fire. But even as he thought so, he heard the heavy footsteps, the unholy sound of bone scraping against bone, the guttural growl that chilled him to his very core. That thing had survived the fire.

It was searching for him.

"Someone help me," he whispered, tears streaming down his eyes. "Please, someone help me! Help me! HELP ME!!!"

"Liinken!"

The boy awoke at the sound of his name, drenched in a cold sweat and breathing heavily. He surveyed his surroundings, and reality began to sink into his fearful mind. He was back in his room at the McCloud House. The noonday sun was streaming through the window. He began to feel his breathing slow, and realized he wasn't alone. Leniera was sitting at the foot of his bed, concern etched on her beautiful face.

"Are ye well, Liinken?" She asked. "Ye were yelling in thine sleep."

"Aye," said Liinken, uneasily. He pulled his knees to his chest, wrapping his arms around them, trying unsuccessfully to conceal his trembling. "Twas but a nightmare."

"Do ye wish to speak of it?" Asked Lenniera gently.

"Nay," said Liinken, turning away. Lenniera was undeterred.

"Ye are as white as a sheet," she said, placing a hand on his forehead. "Thine fever has dwindled, but ye are still unwell."

"I will heal," said Liinken. "Forgive me if I disturbed thee, my lady."

"Nay, ye did not," she said. "I simply wished to see if you have improved, as well as give thee this." She reached over and picked up a neatly folded pile of clothes next to her and placed them in front of Liinken. He looked at the pile, confused.

"What is this?" He asked.

"I cannot allow thee to dishonor thyself with such a wardrobe as ye are accustomed to," said Leneira. "It is the very least I can do for the way ye came to my rescue."

Liinken looked at the garments before him. They were not new, but still of fine quality. A white, flowing bastian shirt, an orange tweed vest, tan breeches (without a single patch in them), black knee-high boots, and a dark green hooded cloak. Liinken handled the garments almost reverently. Clothes were the most difficult item to come by for a poor wanderer. Due to their cumbersome nature, they were rather difficult to lift from a store. Most of the time, he was forced to knick unguarded clothes that were hanging to dry on a laundry line, which is why he rarely found any that matched, let alone fit him adequately. To many, these garments were simply functional, but plain, attire. But to Liinken, they were magnificent.