Chapter 2

Liinken groggily awoke from his deep sleep. He was so tired he felt as if he could sleep for a week. By the time he awoke, the noonday sun was already shining. He bolted up out of his bed. It was already late in the day, and if he wanted to make it to the Capital on time, he should have left hours ago. As he stood from his bed, he noticed something was wrong. His vision began to double, and his head was swimming. He tried to shake it off, strapping on his boots and gathering his satchel. He would have to find something simple to eat on the way, as he had a lot of ground to cover. He staggered to the door. As he did, Lorrea was standing behind it, holding a plate of food.

"Oh!" she said, surprised. "Hello, sir mage. I was just coming to see if you were hungry."

He was indeed hungry, and the succulent mutton chops, fresh vegetables and bread made his mouth water. He heard his stomach audibly growl, embarrassing him. He pondered for a moment. Surely he had time to enjoy this meal. He thanked Lorrea for her generosity and sat down at his desk to eat. He glanced over in surprise as Lorrea pulled up a chair to sit next to him.

"I beg your pardon," she said. "I hope you don't mind if I enjoy my luncheon here with you?" She produced a couple of small cakes. Liinken nodded, indicating that he didn't mind, as he continued to devour his food. Silence stretched between them until it was broken by Lorrea.

"Master Liinken," she said. "Where do you hail from?"

Liinken paused, considering her question. "I have wandered all over the realm," he said evasively.

"For how long?" She asked.

"Since I was a lad of 4," he said.

Her eyes widened in surprise at this. She had a sister that was four years old. Even though she had a genius intellect, she could scarcely imagine the poor child wandering across the vast expanse of the Nine Realms. There were many horrors and dangers out there that would frighten even the bravest of men, let alone a child.

"Liinken," Said Lorrea tentatively. "Are you on your own? Where are your parents?"

Liinken did not answer, simply returning to his meal, a dark look crossing his face. Lorrea didn't need him to say anything, she had already gotten her answer. This young boy had been wandering since he was 4 years old, and most likely has been on his own since then. The very thought of it pulled at her heartstrings. Liinken finished his meal and cleared his throat.

"I thank thee again for your kindness," He said. "I'm afraid I must be on my way."

"B-but. . ." Lorrea stuttered nervously. "But where are you going?"

"The Capital," said Liinken, gathering his satchel.

Lorrea was taken aback in surprise. "That is a three day ride at full gallop from here," She said. "How will ye get there?"

"Do not worry," said Liinken, walking past her. "I have traveled much farther in . . . my. . ."

Lorrea stood in alarm as the boy began to sway, holding the frame of the door to steady himself. After a moment, he shook his head and continued on his way, walking down the stairs and out the door before she could stop him.

A short time passed since the young mage left, and Lorrea tried to get back to her chores to prepare for evening guests, but she could not focus. Her mind continued to drift to the boy, worry and guilt plaguing her. Finally, she put the broom aside and walked towards the entry door, looking in the direction the boy left. She continued to stare in conflicted thought until she was startled out of her trance when one of her younger sisters, Lanalei bumped into her while going outside. She didn't think much of it until she noticed what she was carrying: a large frog.