Chapter 6

As the sun began to set on another tiresome day of traveling, Lynne McCloud the Younger stretched wearily as she prepared to retire for the night. She hadn't been sleeping very well since the destruction of her home, but she did not let her weariness show. However, she was finding it difficult for her to focus on the task at hand. Often, she found herself gazing aimlessly towards the horizon from the back of the wagon, or would silently trudge behind as the group spoke or sang merrily as they walked. More than once she was questioned about her behavior by Lucielle, but she would merely dismiss her concern.

Lynne lay down on her bedroll, but once again found it difficult to let sleep overtake her. She didn't know how long time had passed, but eventually she gave up trying to sleep and made her way out of her tent towards the center of the camp. The fire had died to small embers, so she had gathered the firewood nearby and began to stoke the flame. Soon, a strong blaze grew from the center of the pit, casting the camp around her in a warm orange glow. She continued to stare at the fire listlessly, thoughts swirling through her head.

"What ails thee, sister?" Came a voice from behind her. She turned to see a handsome young man, early twenties with a strong build, with long golden hair flowing down to his shoulders, his kind blue eyes gazing upon Lynne with concern as he sat beside her.

"Nothing, Lycander," said Lynne, smiling at the young man.

"Prithee, do not lie to thine elders, child," said Lycander, smiling knowingly. "Tell me what concerns thee."

Lynne sighed deeply. "It has been difficult since we lost our home," said Lynne sadly. "Those creatures....they were unlike anything I've ever seen. There was nothing I could do to stop them. And I....I was afraid. If it wasn't for Liinken, we would have perished. What kind of knight could I hope to be if I cannot save those I love from certain death?"

She felt the warm hand of her brother atop her head, ruffling her hair gently. She turned towards the young man, only to leap back and cry out in surprise and terror. The young man was staring at her with sullen and sad eyes. His clothes were drenched, his skin having taken on a pale, greenish pallor. Water and blood was leaking from his eyes and mouth as he stood and walked towards her.

"Dear sister," he said, his voice gargling and distorted. "Ye cannot hope to save everyone." Lycander disappeared, and the flames from the fire grew and encircled the young girl, with several dark figures appearing around her, pointing at her and taunting her.

"Weakling!"

"Pathetic wretch!"

"Ye will never become a knight!"

Lynne felt the despair grow in her heart, threatening to overtake her. Tears fell from her eyes as she cried in agony. She was too weak. Too weak. Too weak!

"LYNNE!!"

Lynne awoke to the sound of her name and a gentle shaking. Lucielle was kneeling next to her in their shared tent. Lynne was drenched in sweat, trembling under her blanket and bedroll. She sighed in relief as realization came to her. It was only a dream, yet she could still feel the fear in her heart as she sat up.

"What ails thee?" Asked Lucielle. "Ye were restless and turning in thine sleep."

"Tis nothing," Lynne lied. "Only a nightmare."

Lucielle wasn't convinced. "Twas not just a nightmare, sister," she said. "Ye are as white as a ghost."

"I am fine, sister," said Lynne firmly. She stood and put on her tunic and breeches before exiting the tent. Lucielle sighed, shaking her head as she stood to dress herself as well.