Chapter 35 - Flowers for the Dead (iv)

Violet Lake Cemetery was located on the western side of a quiet and secluded wetland, backed by Blue Mountain and facing Violet Lake, less than an hour's drive from the bustling Fa Wang District.

It was a great place to rest in an eternal slumber. It was also the nearest cemetery to the city center.

"The land here is crazy huge, it's supposedly large enough for everyone living in the three regions around it to sleep in it." This was how Luke described it from the car.

Everyone, "..." I don't really want to 'sleep'.

"But I really can't believe I haven't been here before." Luke actually sounded a little regretful; only heavens knew what he was sorry for.

"I'm starting to suspect that you drank alcohol in the morning," Anna said impatiently, "isn't it a good thing that you haven't been here?"

"I know. What I mean is that there are many famous people buried here," said Luke. "We could drop by in passing to visit their..."

"...dead faces."

The bunch of interns chattered away non-stop. Going out as a group together during work hours was a fresh experience for them, and they seemed particularly excited.

En route, aside from giving the appropriate smiles whenever they looked over, Yan Suizhi didn't really participate in the conversation.

He didn't have much interest in this type of outing. In actuality, his mind still lingered on the case file he had read earlier this morning.

He had manually searched for the explosion case the previous time; it was only now that he discovered he hadn't actually needed to do so. The explosion case concerning him was already specially marked out, and even had an additional bookmark stuck into it.

These special markings were standard in the firm, uniform across all level 1 cases. The bookmark must have been added by Gu Yan, perhaps to ease his own leafing through it.

He flipped through it briskly and found that it contained the full sequence of events, including the Notice of Representation, basic case information, list of evidence, witness testimonies, oral confessions, court transcripts, verdict, etc.

At a glance, it seemed to contain everything he needed to know.

Before leaving, he had skimmed the summarized case description at the very top, which wasn't much different from what he had read in news articles.

The culprit behind the explosion was a middle-aged man named Carl Richard. He suffered from severe burns and had mental health issues that caused him to slip between spells of lucidity and insanity. But whichever frame of mind he was in, he insanely despised the company and department head that had fired him. He didn't have any life insurance these past couple of years. He had also never received the promised compensation from the company. His mental health worsened day by day, and his wife took their child and left him.

That day, the company boss and a few managers stayed in that hotel, coincidentally on the same floor as Yan Suizhi. There was a private elevator to the floor that they stayed on which wasn't open for public use. Carl Richard had simply booked a room two floors under them, using two explosives to blow up the three floors above and below him into smithereens.

The boss of that company, the managerial level employees, and other guests as down on their luck as Yan Suizhi, all passed on there.

Carl Richard was ultimately sent to a specialized mental hospital as a result of his mental health issues. In a sense, he had evaded jail time.

"Right, um. Isn't Violet Lake Cemetery..." The intern Henry suddenly spoke, his expression hesitant.

Apart from Yan Suizhi, everyone was watching him, waiting for him to finish his sentence.