Chapter 46 - Investigation (iii)

"Mr Manson, Mr Manson?"

The officer in charge of the questioning called him twice in a row, and the one taking care of the recording spoke sharply. "Mr Manson, would you please cooperate with us and put down the glass for a moment?"

With the sharpness of his tone, it was as if he was saying 'if you don't put that glass down, I'm going to swing the bottle at your head!' Of course, it only projected such an image; no one would talk to the young master of a conglomerate in such a tone outside of extenuating circumstances.

Even if there was a good chance that this young master wouldn't be the successor to the empire.

George Manson snapped back to attention. He jiggled the empty wine glass in his hand.

The officer stared at his fingers, frowning slightly. For some reason, the young master's hand that was holding onto the glass was trembling.

George Manson put the glass down and rubbed his fingers together. Finally, he uttered his first sentence since entering the room, "Stop looking already. Drinking too much would cause my fingers to go a little wonky."

Despite the alcohol bottles littered across the floor, he still didn't look drunk. His speech wasn't overly loud. Neither was he lacking in logic, nor inexplicably excited and dizzy. It was clear that this young master had probably been brought up bathed in wine. To him, this quantity was nothing.

"Are you sure that you're doing okay?" the police stared at his fingers, frowning, "If need be, we can get a doctor—"

"It's fine," George Manson cut in. "Hurry up and ask whatever it is you have to ask. I want to go to sleep after this is done."

"Okay then." The officer nodded. This wasn't their first time encountering people uncooperative with their investigation. Regardless, duty called, so they put up with it.

He glanced at the list of questions that Chief Kane had highlighted for them and picked a few simple ones to get the ball rolling, allowing George Manson to step into the rhythm of the questioning before moving on to the main event—the dive.

"Jason Charles' diving suit was later confirmed to have been worn by Mr Zhao Zemu," the officer said, "did any of you notice it before the dive?"

George Manson, "No. It wasn't just me, I think none of us did. We were preoccupied with putting on our own diving suits to hurry into the water and have a blast. We put on whatever we picked up. No one expected that they would wear the wrong ones."

"Is there any disagreement between Mr Jason Charles and Mr Zhao Zemu?"

George Manson said, "I don't know. But Jason Charles is a rather... unconventional lawyer. He rarely shows a pushy side, he's one of those who can get along with anyone. It wouldn't be easy for him to get into conflict with anyone. Besides, their paths don't cross often."

"Then what about between Mr Ke Jin and Mr Jason Charles?"

George Manson looked at the officers somewhat speechlessly. "Are you trying to use a normal person's thought process to explain the behavior of a... patient?"

"Right."

The officer mumbled to himself for a moment before finally tackling the elephant in the room. "After the incident, your reactions and mood started to turn quite erratic."

George Manson's gaze slid down, moving his fingers slightly. "Have I been erratic?"

"Yes. Although you've been cooperative in answering our questions, your emotions have been a bit..." the officer weighed his words, "you seem a bit lackluster. Why's that?"