Chapter 85 - Fever (i)

There weren't many people in Cabin 2, and those inside all either had a cold or a fever.

The space shuttle was an enclosed area, after all. Even if everyone were issued masks, it wasn't possible to keep people from coughing or sneezing, and those with weaker immune systems would easily get infected. Once feeling the slightest discomfort, they would start to get suspicious, which would cause the doctors to panic as well. This was why the captain of the flight decided on the fly to cordon out an area for those unwell in addition to those who had actually been infected.

Because the scale of the viral outbreak was a bit larger than expected, both Helan and De Carma were keeping a close eye on it. As such, most of the doctors and nurses on board were focused on the quarantine cabin, afraid that there would be a major incident before the shuttle even touched down. On the other hand, there was only one nurse on duty in Cabin 2.

There were two who were running high fevers. After being put through a round of screening for the viral infection, they were now vomiting and having diarrhea in the aftermath of their fright. They were slumped in their seats with green faces, and the nurse had to administer them nausea-relieving injections.

When Gu Yan entered the cabin, the nurse was holding the needle in her hand, asking him fiercely, "Do you feel like vomiting?" She looked as though if he said yes, that needle was going to go straight into him.

"No, thank you," Gu Yan replied.

"Great." The nurse exhaled in relief. "There is medicine for fever, flu, and cough, as well as painkillers in the seats. There is warm water prepared at the back that you can help yourself to. If you're really feeling uncomfortable, you can just rest at a seat first and I'll attend to you in a while."

Gu Yan shook his head. "I can do it on my own."

He didn't check, randomly finding a nearby seat to sit down at. The excessively high fever was really quite unbearable; it was already quite impressive that he was able to send those two messages. He leaned back into the seat, resting for a while before opening his eyes to go through the medicine boxes in front of him.

There were many medications in the box, most of them commonly seen on the market. Gu Yan went through them one by one, reading the side effects stated on the back of each.

He couldn't be bothered to get water, so picked a home-use injection, tearing off the packaging and directly giving himself a shot.

"That injection has pretty strong side effects." Just as he was about to rest his eyes for a while, he heard a voice drift over from beside him.

Gu Yan turned over and saw the freckled redhead from earlier was sitting on the same row as him, with no more than a narrow aisle between their seats.

"You should eat that medicine," the freckled redhead said. "I'm in the retail pharmaceutical industry, so I'm quite knowledgeable about this. After the shot, people usually feel really energized... well, energized isn't the right way to put it, rather, they would obviously be very tired yet also super lucid. Then, two hours later, they'd feel super sleepy; it works even better than a sleeping pill does."

Gu Yan replied tersely, "It's fine."

The freckled redhead curled his lip. "True, you've already taken the shot anyway. It could cause adverse effects if you take anything else. Look, I ate this medicine. It hasn't even been twenty minutes and I'm already feeling much better."

He did look quite a bit more refreshed than before. His countenance no longer looked as flushed, and after drinking some water, his lips didn't look as chapped either.

"Yeah," Gu Yan said indifferently. "You looked like you were about to pass out in the testing room."

The freckled redhead shrugged. "Actually, that wasn't it. I just didn't really want to talk to that black-haired guy. You wouldn't know, but just now in the regular cabin, he was sitting next to me. And he's one of those who would drag their words and stare straight into the pupils when looking at someone. It's really unnerving. I kept feeling that he's a little pushy, and not a nice person to be around."