Chapter 90 - Ideology (ii)

Gu Yan didn't expect the question. He paused mid-step and glanced at the innocent pot of evergreen bamboo that had, for no good reason, met its maker. "Are you changing the subject or are you trying to settle old scores?"

Yan Suizhi tch'ed. Student Gu was so charming last night, doing his best to refrain from anything more yet also being a bit clingy; he had needled him to go to bed in fear that he'd fall sick, yet also sent him off with his eyes lidded, his gaze heavy, and his arms folded.

Even when he first sneezed downstairs this morning, revealing the first symptoms of a cold, Gu Yan's response was especially amusing. He earnestly went through his medicine boxes for half a minute, then silently put a hand to his forehead, starting to reflect on himself.

Yan Suizhi, watching this from the byline, could barely suppress his laughter.

In truth, although he was used to playing the bushy-tailed wolf, he still did feel a bit awkward when he woke up in the morning. However, Lawyer Gu's series of actions pulled him out of it. The awkwardness only made a token appearance for no more than half an hour before it disappeared into the wind.

After that, all the way to the law firm, he had a fixation on a particularly entertaining pastime—teasing Gu Yan.

In actuality, he had already mastered this art ten years ago. He just didn't expect that after ten years, this fixation had only intensified.

The only difference now was that Gu Yan would no longer storm away in anger.

Resisting the urge to smile, he said to Gu Yan, "Why did you suddenly turn so stern during the day, even suspecting me of impure motives? I'm only curious to hear your thoughts."

Yan Suizhi paused for a beat after saying this. He smiled guilelessly. "Actually, I'm very curious about many things involving you."

Such an inclination was probably unprecedented for him.

In truth, he was never an easy one to get close to. He always wandered a respectable distance away from others, never giving them any opportunities to enter his life, nor did he impinge on their lives.

"You don't have to explain your thoughts because people would always have divergent opinions. As long as you feel that it's worth doing and not one you'll regret in the future, then you can give it a try..." This was something he used to say frequently.

And Gu Yan was once audience to it, too.

But it was different now. It was as if he had stepped into a domain where the door was left open just for him, and, after settling down, finally began taking the initiative to get closer to someone.

This could probably be considered a unique type of special treatment. Gu Yan naturally wouldn't refuse it.

"There indeed was a time when our ideologies clashed..." He repeated in a low voice. After ruminating for a moment, he said, "It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience for me at that time. So... I'm a little unsure where to start."

"I remember that one time, when I was enjoying the evening view on the balcony at a soiree, you came over to ask me something about... preserving your aspirations?" Yan Suizhi attempted to recall for a while and chuckled lightly, "My memory of it is a bit fuzzy. Was it then?"

"You remember that?" Gu Yan was startled.

Yan Suizhi, "The things I remember might be much more than you'd expect."

Gu Yan regarded him for a while before nodding and saying, "Somewhat. But that was only the trigger..."

"There's actually a chain reaction to this?" Yan Suizhi's brows lifted.