Chapter 1

“No, no. Not at all.” My gaze drifted up to the villain. He lay in the medical bed with a glazed look in his eyes. I returned my attention to his outstretched arm and the needle in my hand. “I decided on medical school as soon as I graduated.”

My bottom lip slipped from between my teeth. The needle glided through his skin. “What did you want to do instead?”

I wished he wasn’t so talkative at this moment. Stitching a wound on a sleeping patient was far easier. Then again, having someone to talk to made time pass by much faster.

“A hero. Every kid’s dream, right?” Even I scoffed at my answer. He, however, didn’t seem bothered by it. “I could never, though. And I realized that during my entrance exams. Mid-written test, I up and walked out.”

He winced as I tugged on the suture, closing the wound running down his arm. A small, simple tune slipped through my lips. In a short moment, his muscles relaxed. He breathed out a drawn-out sigh. “You could’ve been helping people, though.”

My eyes darted up at him. The corners of my lips twitched into a quick smile. “You are people and I’m helping, ain’t I?”

He snorted at my response and mumbled under his breath. “The wrong sort of people.”

“I don’t mind.” I sat up straight and examined my work. 

After trying to evade his capture, he made it out with a few bruises and a sole cut running down his arm. The hospital should discharge him and call for the police within an hour.

Small talk filled the room while I cleaned up. He had asked so many questions about me, it only made sense that I’d return the favor. His name was Nori Hano, arrested for armed robbery and swiftly apprehended by Best Jeanist. As I expected, most of his injuries were self-induced while attempting to flee. Jeanist barely lays a finger on the villains he captures. Last week, before all this, close friends and family knew him as a painter. Portraits were his focus.

I said a short goodbye before leaving the room. The door closed behind me and the lock clicked. My hands gripped onto the clipboard, holding his paperwork under the clip. A lone thought crossed my mind. I hope they give him paint in prison.

Three discharged in one day meant three rounds through the ward, leading the cops to whatever room they needed access to. Villains who typically waved to me or try to grab my attention as I passed by their windows had shied away. They kept their heads down, but their eyes still followed us. Understandably, they were nervous.

With each discharge, I gained a small bundle of paperwork. By the end of the afternoon, I had a healthy stack.

My fingers ran through the papers. The people I have treated and spoken to were now nothing more than names on off-white documents. I put in my earbuds and began typing away on my computer.

“Hey, hey all you listeners out there.” I rested my cheek against my palm and listened. “Hope you all are rockin’ out that weekend. Before we start off with the first tune of the night, I have a quick announcement. You only have three days left to send me your tracks for my fifth annual music showdown. I’ve been jamming all week to what we got so far and I still have a few open slots yet for my top thirty. Don’t miss out!”

As the music played, my focus returned to my computer screen. Nori Hano was the first to be discharged, and I started with him. I sent his prison a copy of his medical examination and a detailed, yet short, list of medications the doctor had prescribed to him.

My fingers came to an abrupt halt as one of my earbuds was snatched away from me. “Hey there, cutie. I brought coffee.”

Ceramic clinked on the wooden desk. The warm scent of the coffee filled the nurse’s station. I rolled my chair back and swiveled it to the side. Steam wafted into the air from the mug. “Thanks, Takahashi.”