Chapter 2

Holding my cup in shaking hands, the water rippled slightly. As if I had just drunk ten energy drinks in one sitting, I felt a surge of energy run through my body. I leaned over my drink, took a deep breath, and mumbled to myself. "Stop shaking. You were so weird there. How the hell can I bounce back from that?

The clock on the wall in front of me caught my eye as another minute ticked away. I had been sitting and sprawling for ten minutes. The cheap paper cup in my hands was soggy like it was about to start leaking any moment. It looked like my plan to wait for the Aizawa visitor to leave wasn't going to work. As a thought crossed my mind, my heart sank in my stomach. He won't leave, of course, they are friends. I have to go back.

I swallowed my drink in two big gulps and stood up, crumbling the paper cup into a tight ball. The voice in my head had a false confidence in it as I prepared myself by walking towards Aizawa's room. You can do it, girl. You have this. Go ahead and do your thing. If bad guys are nothing, then being in a room with him should be a breeze.

Through the small window in the door, I could see him standing at Aizawa's bedside. My heart pounded against my fingers as soon as I touched the cold metal doorknob. I tried to cheer myself up, but uncertainty and fear coated my words. "You can do it. Just step inside.

As if ripping off a bandaid, I turned the doorknob and threw myself through the door frame. The door closed behind me, making me nearly jump out of my skin. I hugged my clipboard close to my chest tighter with each step forward. “How is everything?”

“He…” My voice faltered as he turned to face me. I shifted my eyes to the ground and cleared my throat before continuing. “Mr. Aizawa, I mean, he wasn’t showing any signs of pain or irritation while I was out, right?”

“I don’t think so,” he replied. I peeked over my clipboard and asked if he had been talking at all. He had a small grin on his face, and my heart swelled. “He’s never really been much of a talker.”

Feeling my face flush, I turned a bit away and looked down at my clipboard. I stumbled through my words as I spoke. “I, uh, need to fill this out, mark visitors, I mean.”

“Voice Hero: Present Mic at your service!” His excited tone mellowed down and he chuckled under his breath. “Or Hizashi Yamada, if you need my real name.”

“I do, thanks.” It was starting to cause me physical pain to pretend that I had no idea who he was. I kept my body partially turned away from him as I continued. “And Mr. Yamada—”

He cut me off. “Hizashi’s fine. I don’t dig formalities.”

My entire body could have melted into a puddle. The hero that I use as background noise to fall asleep and work to gave me, of all people, permission to call him by his first name. I tried to keep my cool. “Okay. Hisashi, what is your relationship with Mr. Aizawa?”

We’ve been buddies for ages.” Hisashi had a lighthearted and laid-back air about him. “We’re also coworkers.”

“So, he works with you at the radio station?” I dug my teeth into my bottom lip as soon as my question slipped out and my body tensed up. Stupid. Why did you ask him that?

“Oh!” His voice perked up. “You’re a listener?”

The ruse was partially up. I couldn’t pretend that I had no idea who he was anymore; instead, I fell into the next lie. “I’ve tuned in once or twice.”

The wide grin on his face remained as he spoke. “Well, I hope you’ll continue to tune in.”

“Uh, yeah, I’m sure I will.” My gaze traveled to the bandaged-up man, and I swiftly changed the subject. It was time for Aizawa’s next check-up and to swap out his IV bag. Hizashi asked if he could stay and watch. I gestured my hand to the rolling chair by Aizawa’s bedside. “I don’t mind. If you watch close enough, I might let you change it next time.”