Chapter 3

I hardly looked up from my phone as I wandered down the street. I received the name of the meeting place from Hizashi. It seemed to be a tea house. For it being so close to the hospital, I had never heard of it before. 

Take a left here, then a right three blocks down, then walk another two blocks. It’ll be somewhere on the left. With each step I watched the little circle move along on the map.

It was a small, quaint establishment that I would’ve surely overlooked had I not been given its name. The bell tied to the handle chimed as I pushed open the door. Instantly I was taken aback by the cozy atmosphere. The tea house was decorated with traditional art and antiques. In the center of the room was a large table with a pot of freshly brewed oolong tea, surrounded by comfortable chairs. The warm scent of tea filled the air, and I felt immediately at ease.

I stood at the front door, unsure if it was okay to enter on my own or if I should talk to a host first. My mind raced with all sorts of thoughts. Did I get here before Hizashi? I should probably tell the host that I’m looking for someone. What should I call him? Present Mic or Hizashi Yamada? Maybe I should text him before bothering an employee.

The dark blue curtain that separated the main room and a second room parted. Hizashi poked his head out and waved me to the back. With a warm smile, he beckoned me to follow and I stepped forward, feeling the slight nervousness quickly dissipate.

The back room was just as decorated as the main room. The interior was adorned with intricate paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling, and there was a small wooden table with a tea set on top. The walls were painted a deep blue and decorated with a few paintings of nature scenes. There was a small window that let in a warm stream of light, and the scent of freshly brewed tea filled the room. He guided me throughout the room, and I found myself transfixed by the intricate details of the decorations and the calming atmosphere.

Hizashi stood next to a table in the back corner, motioning to me with a hand to sit down. We sat across from each other. The moment I stared into his eyes, I found myself growing nervous, unsure what to do or say.

I was so overwhelmed by the moment that I couldn’t think straight. A rush of adrenaline rushed through me, and my palms sweated. I had no idea what he was thinking and I was worried about making the wrong move.

Hizashi spoke with a cheery tone in his voice. “Great timing Chickadee, I already ordered drinks and snacks, they should be ready soon.”

The few minutes between my arrival and the tea making it to our table felt awkward. Hizashi gave me a standard greeting and followed it up with a few basic questions. How are you? How is work? Takahashi isn’t in too much trouble, right?

I gave Hizashi short answers and I felt terrible about it. It felt like he was the only one putting in the effort to have a conversation. I was nervous and couldn’t think of anything to say. All I could do was fidget and sit there, hoping to make a good impression.

 My hands held onto the cup sitting in front of me. I felt the warmth of the tea through the ceramic. As I tried to think of something to say, I nervously sipped my tea, allowing myself a moment to compose my thoughts. The Sakura tea had a delicate yet fragrant aroma, with cherry blossom petals floating along the light pink surface. A pleasant hint of sweetness helped me calm my nerves before answering.

My throat tightened as I slowly placed the cup back on the table. Uncomfortable feelings aside, I also felt a new sense of determination to speak my mind and push the conversation to why I was here. “You wanted to talk about my song, right?”

“Right! I did. I had no idea you had entered the Music Showdown.” He raised a brow as he lifted his orange-hued glasses and looked directly into my eyes. Hizashi’s face perked up. He snapped his finger as he pointed at me. “I knew your name sounded familiar.”