Loneliness

February 1989

"Who pissed in your Honeycombs this morning?" Laney asked, as Eddie plopped down dramatically on her sofa.

"Lanes, I just can't take it." He said, crossing his arms and his right ankle over his other knee.

"Take what, exactly?" She asked with a strange look on her face. "Answer me or you're gonna start scaring me."

"I can't take her being gone. Shit!" He said, holding his head in his hands.

"I know, babe. But think about it--she only has a little more than a year to go, and it'll be over. All over!" She said. "She'll be home and you guys will go on with your happy lives."

"The loneliness is just--tough." He admitted. "I miss her. Am I--Am I normal?"

"You, my friend, are far from normal, okay

"You, my friend, are far from normal, okay." She laughed.

"Hey! You're supposed to be cheering me up! Shit!" He said, defensively.

"I'm sorry! I just couldn't miss out on that perfect opportunity to drag you." She said, chuckling. "Eddie, yes, you're normal. You're in love. And it's with freaking Charlie Coleman. Baby girl's a smoke-show, and you know I like men! I just know a little babe when I see one." She said, boldly, causing a grin to lift the corners of his downturned lips.

"I want to ask her to marry me." He said, looking into Laney's eyes. "You think she'll give me the answer I want?"

"She better!" Laney said. "Because I'll set up a forced arrangement even if she says no." She laughed. "But seriously, I know she'll say yes to you."

"You think so?" He asked. "Really, you do?"

"Yeah. I do. She'd be crazy to let you go after all of these years together." She said.

"Well, it's not like we'd break up. I'm just afraid she still isn't ready. You know?" He said.

"It's like they always say--it's now or never

"It's like they always say--it's now or never." Laney said, leaning over on him. "But she'll never say never to you. No way in hell."

"I just hate being alone. I'm miserable. Brent wants me to go out with him this weekend, but I just don't feel like it." He confessed.