Chapter 5. It's Getting Warmer.

"Marco!"

"Polo."

(Y/n) turned to their right once they heard Atsuno's voice coming from that direction. Their hands were feeling out in front of them as they walked, careful to not bump into anything.

"Marco!"

"Polo."

They were getting close. Just a couple more steps then they should find him. They wanted to constantly call out 'Marco' just so Atsuno would have to constantly call out 'Polo', and they would find him more easily. But after the first three rounds of them doing that, finding that he had decided to hide on top of trees to escape them, they decided to instead play more fairly.

"Marco!"

"Polo."

(Y/n) jumped when they heard him in their ear, jumping away in fright and falling into the snow with a startled yell. Atsuno chuckled at their little scare, soft and warm.

"You passed right by me." Atsuno said. "I just had to lean over a but and avoided your touch."

"No fair! You should have stayed still." (Y/n) complained.

"Consider it pay back for earlier." Atsuno said, a handful of snow falling onto (Y/n)'s head.

A shiver went down their spine from the cold snow, and they quickly got to shaking their head to get rid of the snow, only for it to fall on their head again.

"Stoooop!" They whined, voice going high pitched.

Atsuno chuckled again. "Ok, ok." He waved his own hand in dismissal, despite them being unable to see it. He walked around them and pulled them back up to their feet. "One. Two. Three. Four." He started counting.

"I'm not ready." (Y/n) protested.

"Five. Six. Seven." He started counting louder. "I'm getting closer to twenty. Better run." He called.

(Y/n) let out a High pitched whine and started running away, tripping over a rock and falling into the snow, catching themself on their arms. Atsuno obviously heard them fall because he chuckled in between his counting.

They started crawling away from Atsuno's direction on their hands and knees, in too much of a hurry to waste time standing up.

Unlike the normal snow they felt under their hands, which were turning red from the cold, thet felt something else tickle their hand. (Y/n) gasped and sat backward, taking a moment before they reached out again and felt around for whatever they touched.

"Atsuno." They called, wanting him to tell them what they were touching.

"I don't think that's how the game works." They heard Atsuno say, the snow under his feet crunching as he walked closer.

"What is this?" (Y/n) asked while pinching whatever it was between their fingers slightly.

Atsuno crouched down next to (Y/n), taking a look at what they were messing with. "It's a blade of grass." Atsuno said.

"Grass?" (Y/n) quietly asked themself, "Does that mean the snows melting?" They turned to Atsuno.

"Yeah." Atsuno nodded. "You can't see it, but grass is peeking through the snow everywhere. Pony is even eating the bits that's shown up around the house."