Chapter 10

"Please tell me you have a potion that can help absorbing knowledge faster."

"Sorry kiddo. No such thing exist. Even if they did, the circulation would be very limited and you need special permit to purchase it."

"Damn it." Naofumi slams his head on the counter.

He wished the Magic Store owner can help him in that front but alas. Things are not meant to be.

Go back to good old way then.

The old lady chuckles. "I may not be able to help you in that front, but, I can help you this way." She pull out a crystal ball and beckons Raphtalia and Lucas to get closer. "This is Magic Ball, and I can use it to determine your magic affinity."

Oh, that sounds great. Just because Naofumi stuck with one kind of weapon, that doesn't means he can't take Mage grouping class too.

"How do we do it."

"First, Shield Hero, you can look into the crystal ball."

That sounds so... simple. Though Naofumi will be the first to admit he has no idea how Crytal Ball reading is done. All he see is fog within the ball, maybe something blinks at him but he wasn't sure...

"Well. That seems to be obvious. You, Mister Shield Hero, is suited to Support and Healing magic."

Basically, a Cleric.

He really should try for Medical Major back then.

"Next is the young lady." Raphtalia's turn. "Mmm hmm. Yes, that only makes sense. The Young Racoon girl is suited to Light and Shadow Magic. They said the raccoon people are said to control phantoms that contain both the refractive properties of light and the indefinite properties of shadow."

Naofumi think back about Tanuki Myth, and how they are such a trickster capable of tricking unsuspecting vendors to accept leaves that were masquerades as money. Not only that, they can shapeshift as well. Yeah. He can see that.

"Lastly, the young man here." Lucas'. "It seems you are adept in Wind and Fire Magic. A very offensive combination, so you better be careful when using it."

Again, Naofumi is not surprised. Yatagarasu is a servant of Amaterasu no Omikami, and in Ancient China, the myth regarding the Three-Legged Crow does connected to Sun. so Wind and Fire Magic is completely natural to have.

"Now then... hopefully you can use these soon." A stack of book was dropped at the counter. "These are Grimoires. They are not an easy read—that's for sure. But if you apply yourself, you'll eventually be able to learn a good amount of spells from those."

Once they get reading up to speed, that is.

"I'd like to give you Magic Crystal as well, but that would put me out of business. Though I assume the Castle already gave you some."

"Nope." Naofumi took one book and flipped the pages. "And Even if they do, they would recall it as soon as I was given false charge."

Behind him, Raphtalia and Lucas exchange a look.

False charge? What false charge? Is that related to why Naofumi has severe distrust towards this country's monarch and why the knights are such an ass towards him?

"...is that so?" The old lady narrowed her eyes. "Well, learning from Grimoires would be more beneficial in the long run than learning from Magic Crystal. A Magic Crystal would teach you instantly, but you can only learn a spell per crystal and the crystal would be destroyed afterwards when the mana inside it is released, while Grimoires contain numerous spells and you can do it over and over so long the pages stay intact. Not to mention, learning spells through grimoires will give you insight of the Spell's function and usages."