Chapter 4

They returned to the hollowed tree that Naofumi calls a shelter. It was hidden by thick vines.

The inside was slightly uneven, with moss growing on the ground. It was just enough for three people.

Naofumi put the boy down, carefully tucked the wings as to not get in the way. The boy shivered and his breath was shallow. Naofumi frowned. The boy won't live long if he was let like this. He needs medicine.

"You there." He called the girl, who looks startled. "Name?"

The girl turned her face away and didn't answer.

It was a bad idea as her Slave Crest start acting up.

"Gah... uuuhhh..." The girl hunched down, clutching her chest where the crest glowed ominously.

"Hurry up and talk."

"...uuhh... R-Raph... Raphtalia... *cough**cough*" The pain began to subside once she said her name.

"Raphtalia, huh?"

Naofumi went to get something from a hidden cache he dug in the ground before handed her a crude dagger. It was made from a broken sword (probably some careless adventurer who doesn't know the concept of weapon maintenance) tied to a branch with some vines he found. It was crude and the quality is shoddy at best, but it was good enough to be still of use. Naofumi gutted fish using it.

Raphtalia holding the crudely made dagger hesitantly. It felt awkward in her hand.

"Get a grip?" Ask Naofumi. "Then I want you to stab this."

"Geh!" Raphtalia was surprised when he suddenly pulls a Balloon from behind his cape.

"What's the face?" Naofumi raised an eyebrow. "I want you to fight monsters. You will fight monsters for me. So go ahead and stab it."

"I... no..."

"That's an order. Do it."

The Slave crest began to glow once again and Raphtalia's face was constricted in pain. It's enough to send her doubling over and nearly dropped the knife.

"Painful? Yes. And it's going to be even more painful the longer you defy me."

Raphtalia slowly stood up, hesitatingly she lifted the crude dagger and attacked the ballon.

"Hyah!"

It was not enough.

"Weak. Try again."

"...?! But!"

She had bounced backward from her last attack. Recovering, she steadied her footing and lunged forward for another attack. The balloon burst with a loud pop.

EXP 1

Raphtalia EXP 1

Slave B EXP 1

So if a party member defeat an enemy, the entire party got the EXP too—

...that Bitch was never his teammate. Looking back at it, Naofumi should have known when the Party page remained empty.

Still... the Kars boy gets the cushy bonus. Naofumi made a note to rectify it once he was well enough. Everyone takes care of their share of the burden. He doesn't accept freeloader.

"Well. Good job." Naofumi reluctantly praised her. "Try this one too."

Raphtalia nodded and attacked the balloon from behind.

POP!

EXP 1

Raphtalia EXP 1