Chapter III - Friends

We came back to the castle a mess. We were covered head to foot in abomination goop, dirt, cuts and bruises. We had to land half a mile away from the castle due to Hunter's banned Palisman staff. On the way back he had explained how he got it.

"So he just showed up one night and you've had him ever since?" I has asked when he was done explaining. We were still in the air, flying over the towns surrounding the castle. I had my arms comfortably around his waist by then.

"Yes." Hunter said exasperatedly.

"Why didn't you just give him to Belos? Like all the other palismen."

"Because you don't know what he dose to the other palismen." Hunter yelled.

I considered that for a moment. "What dose he do to the other palismen?"

"Nothing!"

"Then why didn't you give him to him?!"

"Because it's not nothing! But I can't tell you that because it's a secret."

"It's a secret?" I reapeted, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes." He said, even more exasperated.

"Oh, you are impossible."

"You're impossible!" Hunter said, turning Flapjack. He dove down and landed us in a alleyway. We jumped off the staff and Hunter held it by his side. "I don't even need you!"

"So you said." I said, stretching my legs. "Titan, those staffs are uncomfortable."

"Tell me about it," He muttered, brushing his goop covered shoulder. The stuff had dried and stained half our white cloaks purple and brown.

"Ugh." Hunter said. "Belos is gonna kill me when he sees these cloaks."

"Kill us." I corrected. "And at least these aren't your actual clothes. I have to wear these tomorrow."

"Don't you have spare?" He asked, looking up from his outfit.

"Well, yeah,"

Hunter rolled his eyes and turned away. He peered out the alley before stepping out and walking down the street. I followed and we walked together.

After a minute, Hunter's staff glowed yellow and we both stepped away from it. The light cleared and his pet bird was there, hovering in the air.

"Oh." Hunter held out his hand. The palisman landed on it. "You stuck with me the whole time. Huh, bird?"

The bird chirped and Hunter's eyes widened.

"I think I understood that. Is that your name? Can you say it again?" He asked. The bird chirped and flew onto his shoulder. Hunter laughed. "Weird. Uh, can you say other things?"

"Are you brain damaged?" I asked, giving him a weird look. "Did you hit your head as well as your weird hair flick?"

I flicked the strand of hair that fell infront of his face. It was drenched in dried abomination goop. Hunter swatted my hand away. 

"What wrong with my hair?" He asked defensively.

"Nothing! It's cute. I like it."

"Oh. Thanks." The tips of his ears turned slightly red and he looked ahead again.

"Seriously though, are you brain damaged?" I asked after a moment.

"No, I'm not brain damaged." Hunter said tiredly. "It's normal to be able to understand your palisman."

"Is it?" I asked. "Huh."

"Didn't you know that?" He asked.

"No." I shook my head. "Even before I joined the Emperor's Coven, I never had one."