Chapter XV - Scared

It took a few days for everyone to get over me and Hunter being a thing, and it took us about a week. We all got over it pretty quickly when we thought we'd found a way to get the portal to work. It didn't work though, instead we almost set the whole house on fire. Vee managed to stop the fire before it did any real damage with something called a "fire extinguisher". Still, it messed us all up for a while.

Luz was seriously upset since we got back to the Human Realm, almost all the time. She tried to hide it, but we all could see. I think she felt guilty about the whole thing, though none of us could figure out why.

Amity, Willow and Gus just missed it. They were worried about their families. I couldn't imagine, not even knowing if they'd survived the Draining Spell, not even mentioning The Collecter and his game. I tried to reassure them that if me and Hunter survived the Draining Spell, then they must've as well.

Almost getting back brought it all up again. We were all reminded of what had happened, and the worry resurfaced stronger than ever. That's when I brought up me and Hunter surviving the Spell, and it did seem to help them. But it honestly made it worse for me.

Normally my whole thing with holding Hunter's hand while we slept was working pretty well to help us sleep, and since we'd started dating and cuddling, it only got better. Till I brought it up, then the door thing happened.

I hadn't been sleeping. I hadn't been having nightmares, like before, but I wasn't sleeping either. I'd just been lying awake for hours at a time. It was almost worse.

I snuck out one night, slipped out from my place in Hunter's arms, pulled on my shoes and left. I'd headed to the portal house, because that just turned into my go-to hiding spot for some reason.

Either way, it was late evening, just getting cold, and already dark. Apparently we'd all arrived in the Human Realm in something called summer. We didn't have summer in the Boiling Isles, or seasons. We just had hot, all the time. And occasionally boiling rain. The Human Realm was different though, and four seasons. We'd arrived in summer, and after that was autumn. According to Vee it was almost time for autumn, and things were gonna start getting colder.

Either way, I was cold. I didn't mind too much, and soon I was used to it. Plus I was keeping myself warm by working on a new spear.

I'd lost my original spear during the Day of Unity, just before we'd come to the Human Realm. I wasn't sure when exactly, the whole day was a blur. Ever since, things had felt kinda off. It was worst at the start, but it got better over time, as I started to believe we were actually safe. But then, with the portal, bringing the whole thing and the memories up again, it made it worse. You know that feeling that someone is watching you? Imagine that, but ten times worse.

I'd never had a Palisman. People in the Emperor's Coven had to give theirs up when they joined. And I was so young when I joined I'd never had one to begin with. It hadn't bothered me at first, actually I thought I was lucky. I remembered when I first joined, the other recruits were all so sad over how they'd had to give up their Palisman. I thought I was lucky I didn't know what I was missing, but that was different now. Now I was surrounded by people with Palismen. Even Luz, who only had a Palisman egg. I was left... alone, basically.

These days I wished I had a Palisman. But I didn't, and I never would. I was okay with it, to be honest. I could make it without a Palisman, I always had. But I still needed something. It was a little sad that my substitute lifelong companion was a homemade spear, but beggars can't be choosers.

I was sat on the front steps of the porch. I was shivering slightly, and covered in goosebumps. I traced my fingers through the air, casting a small spell. A stick grew out of the ground, about a meter long. The wood was rough, covered in small bumps that naturally would've grown into new branches. A few small leaves grew off it.