Chapter VIII - On The Run

We slept all night in the woods, wrapped in eachothers arms. I was sat up, leant against a tree. Hunter's head was on my chest, his arms around my waist. I had a hand on his back. The sheild/disguise of vines lasted all night. And, due to our training to get up at six am every day, we woke up at the same time.

I groaned, my neck was stiff from leaning my head back. I rubbed the back of it and looked around. I remembered everything that happened yesterday and groaned. What the hell happened between Hunter and Belos?

As if on cue, Hunter rubbed his eyes and yawned. He sat up and locked eyes with me. I stared at him blankly. His face was a mixture of embarrassment and nervousness. I folded my arms and detandled my legs from his, crossing them infront of me.

"So, now that you're not having a breakdown- don't apologise, I'm sure you had your reasons- can you explain what happened yesterday with that human girl?"

Hunter opened his mouth and stammered a response. He shuffled away slightly and looked around.

"Did we... sleep in the woods?" He asked.

"No, then." I said to myself. I stood and stretched my arms above my head, yawning. The vines around us withered and slunk back into the ground. I looked down at Hunter. "Yes, we slept in the woods."

He swore and held his head in his hands. He groaned and rubbed his eyes. He stood abruptly.

"Okay. I will explain, I promise. Just... later. When I'm ready. Is that okay?"

I sighed. "Yeah. That's fine. In the meantime?"

"Belos is no doubt gonna be looking for me. We can't let that happen. We have to get out of here and make ourselves scarce. And we need a place to sleep tonight. I don't fancy the woods again."

I nodded. "Me neither." I cast a spell and summoned my spear to my hand.

"Flapjack?" Hunter called out. The bird flew down from a tree and chirped, landing on Hunter's shoulder. Hunter petted him and muttered a few nice things to him.

"Let's go." He said. He turned and started walking. I followed.

"And Hunter," I said, "you are okay, right?"

He nodded. "I'm okay."

We walked for a minute in a comfortable silence. But we had both gotten a shit night's sleep and were in no condition for a hike through the woods. Flapjack turned into a staff and we flew up through the canopy and over to the market. We wondered through, drawing plenty of stares and unwanted attention. Two sixteen year olds dressed as the Golden Gaurd and a coven scout.

"We need new clothes." I said.

"Obviously," Hunter said, walking towards a shop.

"I see the trauma did nothing to contain your sass." I muttered to myself, following him in.

We spent a little while looking, picking out the cheapest stuff we could find. They were little more than rags, really. I kept my gloves, to hide the marks from Belos. They were little more than sacrs now. I also my golden cloak, I'm not sure why.

"How we spliting the price?" I asked Hunter as the cashier put our clothes in a bag.

"What?" Hunter asked. "Wait, do you have money?"

"Yeah? Oh, my Titan," I face-palmed. "You don't have money, do you?"

"No." He said obviously. "Why would I have money?"

"You're such a spoiled rich kid." I said. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a few coins. I payed and took the bag. We left the store and looked for a place to change.