Chapter IX - Labyrinth Runners

Camping out in Hexside wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting. I mean, I didn't know what to expect, but it wasn't this. We were staying in the Paranoratorium. It was closed for repairs, the doors barred with yellow tape. Inside was a bunch of huge wooden crates and a stage. Me and Hunter kept our stuff in a small nook tucked behind the blue curtains.

It was quiet and no one gave us much trouble or found us. We managed to get food from the cafeteria at lunch and stole it for breakfast and dinner. On our second day I went out to get myself some food. Hunter sent Flapjack since he couldn't disguise himself in illusions like I could. I posed as a student and grabbed a lunch tray. I cued in line and was served without anyone sparing a glance at me. Then I made sure no one was looking and left the hall, heading back to the Paranoratorium. When I got there I found Hunter stood on the stage with his hood up and Gus Porter infront of him, pointing his Palisman staff at him.

I dropped my tray with a clatter and ran over. I vaulted onto the stage and summoned my spear. I held it tightly with both hands.

"You too?" Gus asked. "What are you two doing here?" He demanded.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Hunter asked darkly. He chuckled and stepped forward. "But rest assured, Gus, we-"

Something fell in our little hideout. Gus looked and Hunter stepped to the side. He held out his arms and hid it with his cloak, blushing. I cleared my throat and looked back at Gus, nodding for him to continue.

"I'll ask you one more time," his tone softened. He dropped his staff to his side. "What are you doing here, Hunter, Y/n."

We glanced at eachother. Flapjack swooped down from nowhere and pulled on Hunter's hair strand. He yelped and his hood fell down.

"Okay, fine!" He yelled. Flapjack let go and landed on his shoulder. "Truth is, our living situation has been... compromised. Maybe."

"We just needed a place to crash for a couple nights." I said, holding my spear by my side.

"Hexside was the only place I could think of." Hunter muttered, folding his arms.

"How... vague of you." Gus said. "Do you know where Luz is by any chance?"

"She's not with The Owl Lady?" Hunter asked.

Above us, Principal Bump's voice came through the speakers. "Students. Please join me in the gym for an important announcement."

"I'm not sure what you're going through," Gus said. He cast a spell and a bag dropped into Hunter's hands. "But that much Hexmix can't be good for your stomachs."

Hunter opened the bag and I peered inside. It was a sandwich, apple and orange.

I looked up to thank him, but Gus was already running out. I watched him go, then noticed my lunch. It had fallen off the tray and splattered all over the floor.

"Aw," my shoulders sagged in disappointment. Hunter offered me half of the sandwich. I smiled and took it. "Thanks."

"No problem."

We sat down. Hunter opened Gus's lunch box and tipped it upside-down. The apple and orange spilled out. We both grabbed one.

"You reckon he'll tell?" I asked before biting into my sandwich.

"Not sure." Hunter said. "Not at first, but..."

"We should probably consider moving soon." I finished.

Hunter nodded and bit into his sandwich. He chewed and swallowed. "What do you think happening in the gym?"

I thought for a moment. "Oh, crap,"