Why are weddings sad

"You know, it's not too late to run yet. I can drive the getaway car." Meg looks at you annoyed. The first two times that you said it, it was fun, now it's just too much. You can't stop, though.

"Could you quit being a drama queen?" She berates, "come help me get the veil to stick."

You're in a room the church lends for these occasions. The wedding ceremony is about to start soon, and you're the one having a mental breakdown instead of Meg. You stand up and approach your friend. The veil has gotten stuck in the bobby pins of her hairstyle. You help Meg fix it. There's a pout on your lips.

Your friend is getting married, even though you're happy for her, you can't help but feel that things are about to change. After five years of living together, you're used to sharing your daily life with Meg. Now she's about to go live in the suburbs with her husband-to-be, Castiel. Yesterday was officially the last day you shared with your friend in your tiny apartment.

You still remember the first day in there. Back then, you had decided, along with Meg, to share a studio in order to make living accommodations less expensive. You had recently graduated from college and had a long debt due. It was necessary for you to choose a roommate, and Meg had been the obvious choice. You've known her since you were in kindergarten, and you've gone to college together, she's your best friend. Yes, it was going to be weird not seeing Meg daily anymore.

That doesn't mean you aren't happy for Meg and Castiel. They're so cute together you're almost envious sometimes. Their marriage was long overdue because they've known each other since their first day at the University. Their chemistry was nearly instantaneous. Castiel is a good man, plus, he's all you've ever wanted for her. You're sure he's going to make her the happiest woman.

Nevertheless, that doesn't mean you want him to take your friend away, or at least that's what it feels like. To be honest, Castiel and Meg wanted to move in together even before they got engaged, but you and Dean, their respective best friends, had hindered those plans. Meg didn't want to leave you and Castiel didn't want to leave Dean, so they waited. Now they can't wait anymore, they're about to get married and as much as you want to keep living with Meg, you aren't willing to be the third wheel in a marriage. Besides, it's not like they would let you. So, even though you're not going to do anything to stop the wedding or something like that, it doesn't mean you have to be cheery all the time. And after all, your best friend is no longer going to live with you, and now you're stuck with the person you hate.

"You look beautiful." You compliment Meg, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

"I know," the smile on her lips is cocky. "Look," she has turned around and is looking directly at you. "I know you're going to miss me, I'm going to miss you too, but we'll see each other often. Besides," she mocks, "this isn't entirely about you missing me, this is about Dean Winchester."

She is absolutely right. Dean freaking Winchester is Castiel's best friend and your nemesis for as long as you can remember. Well, not really, you don't know the guy that much, but you tend to avoid him if you can. The truth is that you consider him to be the paragon of everything you despise in a man. First, the fact that he is a womanizer that sleeps with every female within rank is annoying and positively unhealthy. You were no exception to being a target to his charm the first time you met him. He spent 30 minutes of class trying to get into your pants. You had thought he was good-looking, however, you'd already heard the rumors about his conquests, and you weren't interested in being one of them.

Through the years, you have successfully managed to have a neutral, yet sometimes unfriendly relationship with Dean. He's good at getting on your nerves, and you're good at getting annoyed by him. When the four of you would go out, because he is a part of your life by extension, you try your best to ignore his pretty face and snarky comments. Luckily, you've never stepped out of line before. Sure, you've insulted each other when things get too much, but it's never real hatred that moves you to say those things. Even if you consider his love life to be crap, you share a mutual respect for the friendship that you have with both Meg and Castiel.

Now that Meg is getting married and going to live with Castiel in a pretty suburban house, it pushed you to accept Dean Winchester as your house companion. Living in the city has proven to be expensive, and if you want to keep your current lifestyle, you need someone to share expenses with. That person was Meg until yesterday, and from next week onward it's going to be Dean. Of course, he wasn't your first choice when you came to the conclusion that you needed a new roommate, however, most of your friends had their living arrangements sorted out, or are already married. Thus, the obvious choice became Dean, since he would lose his roommate too. You don't want to live with him, but he ought to be better than a stranger who could murder you in your sleep, right?

Maybe Meg was right when she told you he's a nice guy. Maybe you would even become friends. Yeah, right. You don't ask for much, just someone decent to live with. Plus, considering that you're the one who is going to leave your apartment in order to establish in Castiel's old room, you really need some silver lining. The decision to move into Dean's house, and not Dean to move into your apartment, is purely practical. Dean's place is nearer to work, and it's bigger. Not saying you're happy about leaving what once was your home for years.

"You're damn right is about Dean, why do you have to leave me with him?" You complain. "We were so happy living together." Meg gives you an exasperated look. You've been over this for weeks.

"You're going to be fine, you only hate him because you don't know him."

You snort, "I think seven years of knowing him is enough."

"No," Meg shakes her head, "you met him seven years ago, but you don't know him, not really, you just know the superficially cool Dean Winchester."

You have her an incredulous glance, "and you know him?"

Meg brushes you off, then approaches the door. "No, but you will." A smirk overcomes her features, "and I bet you, you will like what you find."

You laugh briefly, "yeah, right." There are three knocks on the door, signaling the time for the grand entrance. "C'mon, let's get you married."

...

Great, high pillars greet the path you make towards the altar. You're holding tightly the bouquet of blue flowers. As maid of honor, you're supposed to walk ahead to introduce the bride's entrance. Castiel is already waiting by the altar with a joyous expression on his face. In front of you, the other ladies and best men are making their way in a beautiful procession. Meg doesn't have many friends, so it's only you, Charlie Bradbury, and Ruby as bride's maids. Castiel has Dean, Sam, and Jack. As custom dictates, each of them is paired with each of you. Ruby and Sam aren't talking since their awful break-up, so he's walking with Charlie and Ruby is with Jack. You're beside Dean because you both are the main bride's maid and best man.

People are openly staring at you, the expectancy of something beautiful lingers in the air. You even hear someone crying for whatever reason. When you search for the source of the sound, you find yourself staring at your mother's eyes. You groan internally. Of course, she would be crying. Your mother was more of a mother to Meg than her own ever was. To her, one of her daughters is getting married today, and the other one is the maid of honor. As expected, your father is consoling her, but you can see unshed tears in his eyes.

"Well, this much emotion almost makes me want to marry," Dean murmurs beside you. When you glance at him, he winks.

You don't have time to answer as you're already on the altar. Though, you make sure he sees you roll your eyes in annoyance. The bastard only chuckles. Asshole. Your animosity for Dean gets interrupted because Meg enters the room. Everyone goes quiet, even your mother's whimpering reduces significantly. Your best friend looks gorgeous in her siren's cut black dress. It fits in the right places to make her figure look exquisite, you smile proudly. It was you that won over your mother when you went dress-shopping. Your mother wanted a white dress, still, you knew Meg better and encouraged her to get a black one. It was expensive as hell, you understand that better than anyone, since you helped pay for it. And yet, by the shine in Castiel's eyes and the smile on Meg's features, it's completely worth it. The wedding starts. You don't know then, but apparently, during the ceremony, Dean Winchester couldn't take his eyes off of you.