Making the Moves

For the past week, you've been testing Dean Winchester's feelings for you. You've come up with a number of questions and situations that you can use to help you decipher if he reciprocates or not. So far, things have been turning in your favor. First, you casually mentioned going out with a colleague, looking for traces of jealousy in his demeanor. You also came up with a number of compliments for Dr. Sexy on the show. Whilst you were unsuccessful to get a reaction from the compliments to an actor, the fake date situation went better. So when you casually mentioned to him that there was this man at your office who wanted to date you, he responded with a number of questions regarding the man. It was more like he was trying to find a defect in a made-up date than just being curious. He was attempting to convince you out of going out with him. At the end of that chat, you confessed to him that you weren't really thinking of dating the guy. Not that you had anyone to go out with in the first place since the whole thing was made-up.

The other testings that you did went even better. One afternoon, when you went to get groceries with him and everything was feeling domestic, you asked him about the first time that he met you. You remember that was the moment you started to hate Dean because of his obvious flirty nature. He clearly had other ideas, what he did say was nothing compared to your impression of him. He had no problem telling you that he thought you were beautiful. That was the first thing Dean noticed about you and, while he recounted it, you couldn't help but roll your eyes, even if your insides were swarming with butterflies. He also said that he approached you that day at class because Cas wanted to talk to Meg, and that he really wasn't interested in you in the first place. He laughed at your outraged face. However, there was something in the way the heat crept up to his neck that made you wonder about the things he wasn't saying. With your testing finished, you made up your mind and decided to push your plan in motion. Today.

Dean Winchester is too busy eating for his heart's content to notice you staring at him. You're sitting at the kitchen table, nursing a beer after a long day at work. One of your colleagues from work had a birthday cake at the office, and they gave you some leftovers. You don't really like the flavor of the cake, so you relinquish it to Dean without a fuss when he asked for it. To be honest, you're enjoying more looking at him eating it than if you would've eaten it yourself. He looks way too cute for his own good.

"Dean?"

He doesn't look up from the cake. "Yeah?"

"Do you remember that I asked about the hypothetical relationship between Benny and Charlie?"

He doesn't stop eating but slows down considerably. "Yeah, what about it?"

The conversation has been running around your head for the past week, and it only strengthens your belief that you have to do something about your feelings for Dean. That's why you came up with the resolution of asking him out on a date. Whatever happens will happen. The worst thing that could occur is that he rejects you, and you think you can live with that better than bottling up your sentiments.

"So, as you might've guessed, I wasn't talking about Charlie and Benny... It's- ah- more complicated than that. I know that we haven't always gotten along." That catches his attention because he looks at you with something akin to expectancy. "I but I was thinking that maybe we could go out together, like, on a date?" The invitation is a bit awkward, your heart pounds in your chest wildly. You have no idea what's going to come up with all of this, for a moment to even think about laughing out loud pretending that it's all a joke. But you can't do that, not when you think that there might be a slight chance that he feels the same way. Or at least, that's why you think before the silence starts to prolong. Dean isn't saying anything, he just stares at you with a face you don't know how to interpret. Two seconds too long go by, and your mouth gets dryer, why isn't he saying anything? A rejection you can handle, but silence? So, you do the only thing you can think of, you talk again. "You don't have to accept, you know? I won't feel bad if you say no," lies, "we can pretend like this never happened if that's what you'd like."

Your last comment breaks him out of his stupor because he blinks wildly at you, shaking his head left and right. You've never seen Dean Winchester like this before, so surprised and insecure. "No, no, no," he doesn't add anything else.

"No? No, as in, you don't want to date?"

"No!" Then exclamation spooks you a little because you can't help but jump in your seat. "I'm sorry," he says, "what I meant to say is yes to the date." Well, he clearly wasn't expecting to be asked out, but the response is very welcomed.

"Great! Ok! I know it was a little weird to spring this out on you..."

Dean clears his throat, "don't worry about it, your offer is not unwelcome." Something sparks in his eyes, "in fact, it was very welcomed." His voice has gone back to being smooth and flirty, a tone you haven't heard from him in a while now. The last time you did, you instantly had shut down his advances, now you only feel fuzzy all over.

You giggle a bit, "leave the flirt for the date, Romeo."

Dean's smile widens, the action gives you a full view of his teeth and the cake that's suck there. Your laugh gets louder at Dean's confused gaze. Yes, the date is definitely going to be good.