How to Be-Friend

After that day, Marcus keeps giving you the stinky eye every chance he gets. You still don't know what happened between him and Dean. Your guess is that it must have been something embarrassing or uncomfortable. To your bad luck, your boss doesn't break things off with Marcus for flirting with Dean. It would've been really dumb to do so, though it would've been nice revenge. Days pass by, and your friendship with Dean blossoms into something more than just watching TV together. You wouldn't say it's a deep friendship, but you are definitely moving past the unfounded hatred and awkwardness. Thus, when the date for the annual office party approaches, you briefly consider taking Dean along with you. I mean, why not? You're now friends, and it's not like things are going to be any more awkward than they would if you were to go alone. Your options are either asking Dean, taking a complete stranger with you, or going on your own. You really don't want to take just anybody because a work party isn't a place to have a first date. And you also rather not go on your own because then Marcus would have the opportunity to mock you in front of your coworkers. Yes, Marcus can be quite infantile sometimes.

However, when you make up your mind to invite Dean to the party, he already has plans for that day off. During dinner, he tells you that he's going to hang out with Castiel and Benny at the bar downtown. Deep down, you know what he's going to do there; maybe pick up some girl to go home with. Ever since your sex battle ended, he hasn't brought any woman home, though you guess he still sleeps with them. Perhaps he gets invited to their house instead. You're not sure why, but this discovery bothers you. You try not to dwell on it too much.

Since Dean has plans for the said night, you have to go on your own to the party. It's not the first time you've been there without a plus one, but it's definitely the first time since Marcus has been hired. For a strange reason, you feel like going to high school, and you're waiting for your bully to attack. Normally, you wouldn't think that Marcus would step so low to do something at a party, but lately, he's been a real pain in your ass. You think that maybe he has the goal to get you fired in order to take your position in the company.

When you decided to come solo, you expected some of your coworkers to comment on it, since they pretty much enjoy gossiping all the time. Marcus takes the price, though.

As soon as you enter the party, you hear your name being called. "Hey! How are you?" It's Christine, she works on the second floor, accounting. "I thought you weren't coming to the party."

You smile forcibly at her, "why would you think that?"

"Well, I've heard you recently broke up with your boyfriend. I'm sorry about that, by the way."

What the hell is she talking about? Since when do you have a boyfriend? And what does that has to do with the party?

"I- I don't know what you're talking about?"

Christine makes a dismissive gesture. "You don't need to hide anything from me, honey." She smiles fake, "Marcus saw the whole thing. What a tragedy, he's good-looking. But you're waay prettier, you deserve something better."

"Marcus... saw... what?"

"Oh, yeah, he saw you had this argument with your boyfriend at work. His name is David, Daniel, or Dean, isn't it?"

Dean? Why does Dean keep popping into your normal day-to-day conversations like that? Why does Christine think that when Dean brought you lunch, you were having an argument? Because that's the only time Dean has stepped a foot in your workplace. Foremost, you aren't even together, and now she thinks that was an argument? The only logical explanation is Marcus. She heard it from him, and he must've blown things out of proportion just for the amusement of it. He has really proven to be a real pain in your ass.