14.Seventh mercenary scout platoon

A/N: Vocabulary

Platoon: A military unit consisted of 20-50 soldiers

Garrison: A group of troops stationed in a fortress or town to defend it.

Umatilla, Oregon, Free States border

"Please Sam, I've always wanted to be a merc, it's my dream, I've always felt that I'm destined to do something like this, I'm built different, I can handle it, I've learned lots."

Pleaded David anxiously, he was walking next to Sam, gesturing wildly, trying to convince Sam that he was battle ready.

"You're not going on the front line with me David, I'm here for V and Jackie, I don't want another dead weight to look after, I've already got a ton of explaining to do with Gloria about you being here in the first place, last thing I want right now is  you getting hurt, boy, getting hurt under my watch."

Said Sam, they had reached the door of a temporary headquarters of Militech's military operations on the border the Free States, or rather the 'Pacifica Confederation' (the name they gave themselves). 

David had managed to sneak onto Sam's armoured jeep before he set off to help his friends. Sam had found him in his trunk, dehydrated and exhausted several hours into the drive, so he had no choice but to bring along

"I won't be dead weight, don't call me that, I can hold my own, I've got several military grade implants, I'm special Sam, I've got instinct and talent."

David piped defiantly.

Sam suddenly took David by the collar of his clothes and stared into his eyes.

"Listen here kid, listen carefully to uncle Sammy, this ain't some ol' regular gangster squabble, edge runner gig or some corporate espionage you get in Night City everyday, this is all out war, I don't think you've grasped the weight of that yet,"

he loosed his grip and continued with a softer voice,

"I don't mind taking you on merc gigs and trivial biz to give you some experience, but you're not ready for this boy, not until you're able to handle the reality of losing what is important to you."

David was startled by Sam's sudden hardening of attitude.

"Here's whats gonna happen, we're gonna walk into HQ, I'm gonna register for combat deployment as a merc, and you're gonna stay with the garrison mercs right here until I come back, are we understood?"

"Y-yes, alright"

Replied a disappointed David Martinez.

"Good," said Sam, he took out a pack of expensive cigarettes, a badge and a chip and gave them to David, "here, take these."

"Whoa, for me, even the cigs?"

Asked David.

"No David, the cigs are for you get on the good side with the garrisons while I'm away, the badge signifies that you're a 'Samurai' member, and the chip is your pocket money."

Sam jeered, his attitude no longer strict and commanding.

They walked into the command head quarters.

The auto iron doors opened to reveal a tightly packed space filled with communication & intel personnel, netrunners, garrison mercs, and commanders. 

A stout and tall commander with a clean mustache walked up to greet them, he shook hands with Sam, saw David, hesitated, and shook hands with him too.

"You must be legendary Minuano of night city, the slayer of Adam Smasher, we were just informed that you would come. I'm Major Boris, Boris Vyacheslavovich Popov, I must say, it is an honour to be joined by a Night City Legend to fight for our cause."

The commanders spoke in a heavy Soviet accent, he was smiling warmly, and it seemed that he spoke with utmost sincerity.

"Samuel Rodrigues," Sam introduced,  "and my step son, David Martinez."

"Such a promising young boy," Boris remarked, "you are going to grow up strong just like your father, yes?"

This time it was hard to tell whether he was sincere or merely well versed in mercenary etiquette.

"Of course I will, you just wait until I become a Night City legend too."

Exclaimed David as Sam rolled his eyes.

"Listen, Major Boris, I came here in respond to the call of a friend of mine, Vincent Bakkers (that's V), I believe he is the Captain of the 7th mercenary scout platoon, last time we contacted he was not in a good situation."

Sam explained his purpose of arrival.

"That can be arranged, the 7th mercenary scout platoon is now deep in enemy territory, we've lost contact with them just this morning, they might be surrounded and outnumbered, so if you do want to reinforce you fellow NC legend, I suggest taking with you some of our garrison mercs along."

Suggested Boris.

"We'll also pair you up with an intel netrunner if you want, right now the war has not fully started so both sides aren't going all out on each other, I suggest you get to the 7th MSP before this war goes full on."

"Alright, sounds preem, why don't we start off by checking out some resident garrison mercs? See if we make good partners."

Concurred Sam.

"Indeed, come with me." 

Boris took them to a long table where a bunch of garrison mercs were sitting talking, and sharing smokes, they looked up upon the arrival of the three.

"Let's start here shall we,"

Boris cleared his throat,

 "ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you, the Minuano of Night City, slayer of Adam Smasher -- Samuel Rodrigues, now this man ain't some regular gunk, he's on a mission to reinforce the 7th mercenary scout platoon, any of you willing to sign up?"

6 mercs instantly stood up, excitement on their faces. They swarmed up to Sam and took turn to shake his hands, it was obvious that they were from Night City, only NC mercs truly understand the weight of being an NC legend.

"Honoured to meet you Mr.Rodrigues, my name is Maine,"

Said a strong black man, marveling at the Minuano.

"Pleasure to meet you too."

"These are my squad memebers that followed me here to the border, guys, why don't ya introduce yourselves?"

"It is an honour, Mr. Rodrigues, my name is Dorio."

"Kiwi."

"Pilar, it's an honour."

"Rebecca."

"Lucyna Kushinada."